Late Night Bee Tree Emergency Removal After Dark

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, Aug 1, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wow, it's late but I couldn't wait to share with you how much fun I had tonight with a cut-out. An officer I work with, who I coached to keep his first hive this year, calls me around 8 this evening to tell me straight line winds have knocked over a limb from a Maple which contained a large hive that had been there for years. The tree was in a bad spot and had to be removed but there was only an hour of daylight left and I would not be available tomorrow to help. So, against all all reason, I gathered all my gear including my bee vac and headed out.

He had already cut a few coins from the the limb but luckily it was from the top part which contained mostly capped honey. He has a homemade veil but normally does not wear anything. He reminds me of the wildman on cable that catches critters with his bare hands but much more refined. I told him he had better wear at least his veil since he was tearing into the tree with a huge chainsaw. He is pretty handy with a chainsaw and did a great job. We cut piece by piece off as gingerly as possible and removed capped honey and brood as we went. I would vacuum in between the sections being removed. I gave him the vacuum half way through to get experience doing it. I went to work rubber banding the capped brood in empty frames. He called me over at one point to show me how many bees were still left in the hollowed out limb.

BAM! Tagged on my right top forearm through my bee suit. I was sleeveless underneath which is no wonder why the stinger made it through. I scratched it off quickly, took some benadryl and zantac and back to work. It stung a little but went away leaving me with a little redness, heat and a knot. The small mystery bee that stung/bit me and my wife today near our pool was worse by far. This is my 3rd sting this first season and it does feel like the reactions are weaker and weaker now.

The really cool part was his excitement spotting the queen. She was big! I did not get a pic as I was attending to my sting. But, he saw her hanging from a clump of bees and collected her. Pretty nice find for being 11:30 pm dark using flash lights and his patrol car for lighting. The patrol lights actually worked nicely. Little perk there. :razz: We then set his hive up near his other one.

I ended up getting home around 2am this morning. My friend ended up with a second hive and I scored some honey and a dozen brown farm fresh eggs from his chickens! I was wired and anxious to crush/strain the honey score so I stopped by Walmart on the way home to get some paint strainers but they did not sell them. I remember G3 (I think) saying he used a cheap window sheers for a strainer. I found a $4.97 white sheers and a few Mason jars and headed home. I cut off most of the dark comb you see in the photos and then strained some honey. The pictures tell the story. The honey still has some very, very small micro particles in it but I don't imagine they will hurt anything. I have to look close to even see them. The honey is EXCELLENT! We ate some of the comb when it was still daylight and it was still packed with summer warmth...I am telling you that is the stuff great literature is born of. Enjoy the story and pics. I placed a couple here but there were so many more pics so I put them in a photobucket folder. I apologize up front for the picture quality, was dark and using my cell. Here is the link:http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii307/jossenbella/Waltons Bee Tree Cut Out/

0731122057a.jpg 0731122057e.jpg 0731122149a.jpg 0731122256.jpg 0731122312.jpg 0801120134.jpg 0801120229a.jpg [video]http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii307/jossenbella/?action=view&current=0731122159a.mp4[/video]

Attached Files:

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That's a great story! You both scored big and it sounds like you had a big time! :)

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Slice of pie for BlueBlood for the sting pic! :thumbsup:

Nice job, especially considering the circumstances. Well done!
    (Who would ever have thought a squad car would make a good beekeeping accessory?) :lol:

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Greg! We sure did, enormous amount of bees, queen and some comb to start with. And, honey for me and him. And, I'm gonna have some farm fresh scrambled eggs! Honey and peanut butter on my toasted muffins. Coffee...mmm...life is good this morning.

Thanks Perry, I think I could get used to this slice of pie gig regardless of the itch...blueberry with vanilla ice cream maybe....:razz:

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Superb , great one and nice looking pale honey too

Get a bunch of paint strainer bags from Sherwin Williams or Lowes and keep them , they are only like 50c each, I use them in the brewery , in the kitchen and honey house too.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Zulu! And, for the advice on the strainers. I will pick some up this week. I need some for my first harvest anyway.

I read the link Iddee...I can't say I don't understand people because after nearly 14 years of law enforcement, I have seen allot of ugly with people and the things they are capable of doing. I feel bad for the keep because I personally know how hard of work that is to cut-out a log just waking up from a long night and early morning of doing it. And, I had help. I remember Zulu or you talking about having a 2-3 man team and I can see how that is very helpful now.

Thanks for all of your advice which has single hand-idly showed me the way...

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I agree...I hope the thief took 50 stings! And, no slice of pie for them....!!

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like a great job!! It's nice to have a bee buddy to help also, makes things go so much easier and that much more fun, no matter who gets what.

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks G3! 2 is great and 3 is exceedingly helpful. His oldest teen son was the light guy. I am so glad I already had deeps and frames made up. I am sure more than ever I will use my downtime this winter to prepare more of these things for the 2013 season.

Honey question: I only ran the crushed comb once through the veneer (meant to say sheer). Will a 2nd screen through cheese cloth or paint filter remove more ot the particles? Or, will these extremely small prticles always exist with crush/strain method? I figure it's okay to consume considering some folks prefer unfiltered honey.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

With it sitting out in the sun or a warm place (in the back of a car) most will either settle out to the bottom or bubbles float to the top. Give those jars a few days and you will be surprised at how it will clear up some. Not sure what veneers are, I use the fine polyester curtain sheers, cheese cloth will do a fine job of filtering but will leave very fine fabric strands in the honey, learned that the hard way at the county fair when points were deducted for junk in the honey.

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! I am in the woodworking mindset. I meant sheers. I got the idea from you in an earlier thread somewhere. Wow, wouldn't think the cheese cloth fibers would be that easy to see. I think that would be fun to enter a contest like that. Fair contest remind me of one of my favorite Andy Griffith episodes, "kerosene cucumbers!"

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I learned something new here as well. I use dampened cheesecloth between my double strainers. Guess I might have to rethink that. :???:

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

One of these days, those chickens of mine are going to figure out that's what they're supposed to do! LOL (actually it's another month or so before they're supposed to start laying, I think).

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

He was in the same boat as you Greg. It was his first year of chickens. He was fixing to eat them if they did not quit picking his garden to heck and not laying eggs, ha!

17. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ya there has been alot of days doing removals that I had wished I had some help, its real hard to do it solo specially in this heat, hope I never have to do 1 in the dark thats gotta be tough, great job on that 1 Blueblood:thumbsup: I wish Crackerbee or RLjames lived a bit closer , be cool to call in the cavalry some days, my 2 boys just dont have any interest.

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

One of my remaining hens is laying. One is too old, the other 3 too young, what's left since the weasel. But I'm grateful to still have hens, and the occasional fresh egg. They don't lay much in the heat.

And great story! Great pics! I need to re-build my beevac before I do a removal. I like nighttime bee work. The bees are home, fewer strays flying around stinging people the next day. A bee buddy or 2 for removals is great. I have a couple. MUCH easier. And the only way to get pics.

Gypsi

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I can't get over the idea that you were able to handle the job in the dark. From the few times I've had to deal with hives at night, I would avoid it like the dickens. Total bedlam!
    I guess the bee vac made all the difference in the world. :thumbsup:

The pictures are great, particularly of the honey. From what it looks like to me, the lack of clarity is from tiny crystals in the mixture, not "dirt". Put it in your fridge for a week or two and it should turn into creamed honey ---a delicacy too many beeks are unfamiliar with (it's more common in Canada, some of the northerners can give their opinions on it).

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Creamed honey outsells all others in Quebec! :grin: