Late Queens

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 3, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Got a letter yesterday from Drapers Bee Supplies, stating that the 10 queens i ordered for first week in April would be delayed because of the weather in Cal. They said the queens were not getting bred like they should. I appreciate their concern about selling a bad queen, a few years ago i got a batch of queens that were not bred good and layed 2 to3 frames of eggs and ran out (only 4 queens out of 15 were good) they replaced them but they were not much better and most were superseded. Hoping these queens are not a repeat, with the price of queens this year. Jack

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

sounds like it is time to find another queen supplier.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I agree, but it's to late this year to get early queens somewhere else.. They did say they would ship queens when avaible by order dates, and mine was one of the first orders. The queens i got from them last year were some of the best i have ever bought(carniolans),I can understand the weather part, it's been crazy here,like today 80 F with 45 mph winds. :confused: Jack

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Yeah that wind is rocking. Hope your queens come soon and are healthy

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

excessively hot, windy or cold and wet weather will delay queen breeding which normally takes place during a fairly tight time window of a few hours each day. if poor weather persist long enough the queens in the boxes will likely prove to be worthless. if they lay at all they will fail very soon after being introduced.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Still no queens? called Drapers Bee Supply and Brenda told me they would be shipped next Tuesday the 19th. Debated wether to cancel or not,it's getting border line on spit time here,but do have some hives that are running over with bees.I'll make some splits and when the Bee Club has our outing at my farm, we can let the new members see if they have been released and started laying yet. That will be 4/30/11. So maybe things will work out. :confused: Jack

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Jack:
    it appears we are having an excellent queen rearing season here from what the queen catch crew tells me. if you should need some ladies to take up for those slacking california folks just let me know.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec, if they don't ship them this Tuesday ,i will be getting in contact with you. Do you ship by mail or UPS. or at your home. Jack

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Drapers called and said they were mailing the queens. (yesterday afternoon) :thumbsup: .I had called yesterday mourning and told them that if they didn't get them in and mailed by Wed. (that's today) that i wanted to cancel my order. Of course the temp. has dropped for the next 4 days with rain forcast for 3 of them.I'm going to my northern bee yards to pull brood around 10:00 am. Supposed to be dry today with the high of 58F to 60F, hope the girls are flying. My plan is to shake the bees off the brood frames and put them above the excluder, go mushroom hunting come back and gather the frames and nurse bees in nuc's,and maybe have mushrooms for supper. :thumbsup: Jack

PS. My sons other daughter called at 7:00 am this mourning to tell grandpa that she got her turkey (it had a 10 in. beard also)