Late season swarms

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by bamabww, Aug 19, 2013.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The strange weather we're having in Alabama I believe led to these very late season swarms. It's the middle of August and we're having low 60 temperatures at night and highs in the 80's. And rain every other day it seems.

Both swarms were very small, as you can see, easily taken, and greatly appreciated by the owners of the feed tube and peach tree. I pulled two frames each out of my two strongest hives to help them get a jump start. Probably still have to feed them to make it through the winter.

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne, i think you forgot to post the pix?........:lol:

3. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Well, no, or at least they show up on the two computers in our house.:???: The top one somehow ended upside down for some reason.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well, maybe it's just me? i don't see any pics?

5. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Nothing showing here either. Tom

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Well I don't know what's going on but I'll try again. I can see both on an Apple laptop and a Dell laptop as well as a Dell desktop computer.

Attached Files:

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I little on the small side but free bees all the same. Like you said support them with brood and bees taken from strong hives and they should turn into nice nucs to over winter.
    How were the peaches?

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

got the pix wayne.....whatever you did worked.....
    best wishes to you to overwinter the free bees!

9. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Delicious. It's been a good year for peaches in Alabama.

10. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I am in a quandary when it comes to late season swarm calls. If I need a swarm then I would respond. If I don't need a swarm then it depends.

With the peach tree swarm, if it's not bothering anyone, then it could be left to fly (or tell the caller to contact another keep --- and maybe get charged).

I try to be prepared with my reply to the calls. Some folk have the attitude that "they are bees --- you keep bees ---- you should do something".

11. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Yeah, know what you mean. I got a call late yesterday afternoon about another small swarm only 6 miles from my house. Actually they left a message as I was not home. I returned their call but had to leave them a message. Guess I'll drive over in the morning and check it out.

12. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Pictures are up for me now also....not sure if it is all the corn we have around here or what just don't get many calls on bee swarms....two last spring and could not reach one of them. Was about 80 feet up in an old maple tree. Oh well will keep trying and good luck on your two small swarms. Tom

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I too got the pictures only on your second attempt (post #6).
    Suggestion, don't try to make to nucs out of these swarms. They relly are small. I would either use them to strengthen my weakest hives by uniting them with the newspaper method or combine them into one hive. If I stengthen hives, I could use the queens to replace some older ladies, either from those hives or from other hives. If I combine them, that would leave me just one spare queen to use as a replacement.

14. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

It was even smaller than the other two. The funny thing is I never found a queen.

15. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I caught one about the size of a softball, found the queen and dumped the rest of the bees in front of another hive. That was Wednesday Got a call for another swarm too far for me to go get but called a friend that lived a few miles away, he sent pictures of a LARGE swarm. He had drawn comb to put them on so they might have a chance otherwise they'll get combined later. Swarms, no matter how late, can still draw comb.