late summer feeding

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by DLMKA, Aug 8, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

We're in the middle of a drought along with over half the US and don't have any nectar coming in. I have a few hives that are light, probably too light to get through winter. Goldenrod is going to start blooming in the next week or three. Threw a top feeder on a few hives and gave them each a gallon of 1:1 syrup. No I have myself worried that they're going to backfill the broodnest and I'm going to miss out on the last round(s) of broodrearing before winter sets in. Did I screw up? I was hoping that the syrup would encourage them to finish drawing the frames they already started on be able to take advantage of the goldenrod flow.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They will store the sugar syrup in the top box. If you have a super on, they won't put it in the brood nest until the top box is full. They store from the top down.

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

That's what I was hoping for but I ran into a situation that resulted in a hive swarming earlier this summer where they wouldn't work the second box with bare foundation. They backfilled the brood area and swarmed on me.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is not spring now. They will do different in other times of the year.

If you had an excluder under the foundation, that contributed to it also.