Late Summer Harvest

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Cupcakus, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Cupcakus

Cupcakus New Member

The girls have been prioritizing the honey supers over their deeps all summer so I decided to pull them off even though there's still a flow at the moment here, hoping they will go back to stocking up the deeps for winter. They have fairly good stores there already, I just would like them to have more. I got about 17 medium frames of capped honey.

I used a fume board with Bee Quick and it really didn't work all that well... It had rained all morning and even when the sun came out I could not get the board hot enough to have any real effect, they cleared off the tops of the frames, but that's about it, the bee brush had to take care of the rest, and boy did they hate that experience and let me know about it. I took the empty of bees supers around the house outside the kitchen where I left them for just a few minutes while I got back into my civilian outfit only to find they had found them almost immediately and they followed me into the house with them! They've never come in before, it took some doing but we were able to shoo them back outside where they peered in from the screen door with vengeance in their eyes :lol:.

All told we got about 45 12oz bottles filled, but this honey does not smell all that great and the wife is worried we shouldn't really give it out. I don't think it's goldenrod, but it does smell a bit like dirty socks. I think it tastes great, the wife thinks it tastes like it smells. I put some in my tea this evening and it did make my tea smell a bit... off... but it tasted great. I still think I should use it and give it away as usual to family, friends, and neighbors. I'm still new to this, what do you all do with stinky honey?

Attached Files:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If I'm unsure of the quality I feed it back, but then I have more than you and am able to do so. Tough call. Nice pics though! :thumbsup:

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

what do you all do with stinky honey?

sell it, gift it.......:lol: if it was capped, it's good, sounds........er smells?......to me like goldenrod or some type of aster :grin:
    goldenrod is a little darker and does have a distinctive aroma.....

here is a little trick to try with the fume board and bee quick in cooler weather, i spray the entire board, not a zig zag pattern, set it on top the super, and hit the metal with a propane torch to heat it up and send the fumes down. it works.

nice pix!!!
    enjoy your honey harvest!!!

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The honey i took off last Sat. i'm not sure the bees will eat it:shock:. The Bee Quick would probably taste better? Jack

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Note to self, be careful when accepting gifts from riverbee. :think::lol:

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

jack~
    "The honey i took off last Sat. i'm not sure the bees will eat it[​IMG]. The Bee Quick would probably taste better?"

well jack, i think your bees just collect stuff to make honey out of just because.......:lol:
    you all have weird plants and trees and whatever growin' down there in missouri anyway..... (ps read your thread, no idea?)

perry~
    "Note to self, be careful when accepting gifts from riverbee."

........:lol:
    are you guys picking on me?!.........:lol:
    note to self, send perry and jack the stinkiest honey i harvested for christmas........and lot's of it...........:lol: