Late Swarm?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Nov 10, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The wife and i were picking up walnuts today when i heard bees buzzing around, i looked up and saw a small swarm moving into a hollow limb about 12 ft. up? I don't think i've ever seen bees swarm this late in the year (Nov.10):???:. I have hives about a 1/4 mile from this tree so i'm thinking they probably came from one of them, i went and checked my hives and everything seemed normal, not much activity from any of them the temps. have been in the 50's and low 60's daytime and low 30's and forties at night. Any idea what might have made them swarm? I don't want to crack the seals on the hives this late in the year, but it's sure tempting. They could be from a feral hive, but wonder why they would swarm this late? shb maybe? Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't know why, maybe SHB or starvation, but I would guess abscond rather than swarm.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am with Iddee here. Actually any number of disease or pathogens might also be included in the list. At the time you noticed the swarm what was the temperature and time of day?

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have 23 hives here at home and all but 3 are heavy with stores,i put syrup on the 3 last week and they are iffy (probably didn't need it. It was around 2:00pm yesterday and the temp. was 62F when we saw them going into the hollow limb, i've not had a big shb problem,so far i have only seen no more than 4 to 6 in a hive and they were in the top feeder (empty) being chased around by guard bees until they run into a hive tool. All 23 hives have slow traffic coming and going bringing in pollen.Jack

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

maybe it ain't your bee Jack. I am kind of assuming here you have some ferals in the trees?