late swarm

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Jamiev, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Jamiev

Jamiev New Member

I captured a very large swarm which was from one of my hive yesterday. It was very close to the hive it swarmed from. It was the size of two basketballs. I placed it an a langstroth hive, sure the queen was there because all the bees I did not capture were coming to the new hive for the next several hours. I did not see bees balling up around the original swarm location. It was so large I figured it may survive even though it is an Aug swarm.
    Went out to check them this am about 9.....G ON E !!! Any idea what i could have done wrong?
    This is my first post to a bk forum in several years. I used to post but mostly read a lot on a forum which doesn't seem to be in existence anymore. I was jamiev there too. i do recognize some of the old user names posting here from that forum.
    Hope someone can shed some light on this . Thanks.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

You did nothing wrong. Bees are wild creatures that do what they want to. We can only delay the inevitable. Some try a queen excluder under the brood super or frames of brood. Swarming is a procreation instinct we can only hope to influence like our kids.

3. schawee

schawee New Member

next time you get a swarm try to find the queen ,cage her up so she can't leave.if the swarm leave they will come back because the queen could not leave.keep her caged up for 3-4 days then release her.