Lavender for varroa control??

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Paul Cottier, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Paul Cottier

Paul Cottier New Member

Im always looking for organic/natural control methods for varroa control. I heard from a friend Lavender put in front of the hive runway will act as a natural control method?? There were many dead mites just past the lavender on the runway of his hives... can anyone verify or debunk this? I will research this a little more as well.

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

while many of the organic methods work to a point of its better than nothing, I wouldnt put high hopes in it curing the mite issue if you are infested..I use oxilic acid vapor, thats the closest to natural since OA exists in honey naturally and it has the least effect on the bees, and it works good on the mites...its your choice, do a mite count to see if there is an issue to see if you need to treat..

3. Paul Cottier

Paul Cottier New Member

I know it wont cure the issue (obviously) and i check the mite count regularly. The question was if anybody knew of its credibility as a natural method. Does it work?

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

from what I have read, it may work, I wouldnt trust it it I had a problem and risk loosing the hive, but thats me, if you have to stay 100% organic then try to google more info on it..

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I hadn't read that one.