Lawyers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rast, Aug 10, 2011.

1. rast

rast New Member

Disclaimer: I do have some friends that are lawyers, but they are not on TV @ 6:30 AM telling me that they will take my case if they think they can win at no charge.
    I remember first time giving a deposition. A woman typing everything said faster than I talk. Primarily an insurance battle on which Co. was going to pay for plaintiffs burnt boat. After being grilled on what I thought was pretty cut and dry common sense stuff I made the statement that the plaintiff was not stupid (I knew him pretty well) and he knew the boat was being subcontracted to where it burnt. His lawyer was then dumb enough to ask me if I thought he was stupid in a smart aleck way.
    When I reached across the table for him as I was saying yes, I am glad my Co's. lawyer stopped me. I was dismissed and we lost.

2. rast

rast New Member

Experience No. 1 was young and impetuous on my part. Perry Mason never made snide remarks like that young lawyer did and I wasn't raised to take it. Glad I didn't do something stupid.
    Court experience No. 2
    Interviewing for for a parts person at work. Chose a lady I thought could learn the job, called her and told her she was hired. She called the next day and said she couldn't take it, her husband had got hurt and she was going to have to stay home and take care of him. OK.
    Subpena a month later. Huh? Deposition, were you going to hire her to work for you? Yes. Will you hire her now? No, got someone else. Thank you, that is all.
    Another subpena, jury trial. Her Husband had gotten dog bit by a neighbor's dog on their property and they were were suing. Same question, same answer during trial. They won including her lost wages.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I guess my opinion of lawyers is not that of you average american these days??? I know several and have worked for a couple and never had any problem with any of these what so ever. one I know is without a doubt an exceptional bee keeper. when my wife and I took a small legal question related to bees his first question was... 'are you just wanting to cover you ass or are you wanting to do the right thing'? sadly in the world of law that appears to be the only two options.

I will confess I was partially guided in my opinion of lawyers by my dad's best friend who was DA for a great number of years who's often repeated sage advice was... 'you should get up every day and pray to god that the lawyers and doctors don't get to you TODAY'.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, one of our members is a lawyer and a beekeeper. In my opinion, he does both well and remains a fine human being at the same time. Quite an accomplishment in this day and time.

5. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I have two stepsons who are lawyers;
    Both have told me, " The only reason there are lawyers, is because there IS a lawyer "

Ever notice the # of lawyers, look in your phone book and count the pages, and not all lawyers are listed " Jack, Peter & Jill " may have 10-25+ associates.
    Now look at the # of say; appliance repairman or who ever.

Competition is rough, they will sue about anything too survive.

Murrell