Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so if a queen dies, or a hatched queen fails to mate, or a removal doesn't come with a queen and you don't know it, and you go to work and etc for 6 weeks then you open your hive and you have a bunch of drone brood.

In one of my hives, the big one, the queen ran out of sperm. I say this because I did the half mile drive and dump late yesterday, it got dark, and the bees nested where they were. This morning at 7:15 maybe 2/3 of the bees returned. The remaining bees were clumped, so I left them on the old nuc bottom board I had taken out there last night, for protection and went to work. My money says that wasn't a laying worker or all the bees but her would have come home. That was my failed queen. I have split this 3 super + brood box hive, giving one box of uncapped honey to my italians so they can finish the job, setting one medium aside to merge with my outyard hive, and giving the bulk of the original hive a deep. (the 4th box was a near empty super.) I extracted part of the frames on the deep and the mediums. but there were only 5 capped frames.

Anyway, I had to go to work this morning, and when I got home the silly bees were flying up and down the street looking for water, no memory of how to get home. and some had died of the heat, so I took them a medium nuc with a solid lid and a frame with a bit of comb in it and sprayed them with sugar water and moved a couple of handfuls in to get them started. I will check for that queen before I add them to their box. I'm going to go pick the box up in a few minutes. Had to cool off. I have an empty country road near me that is perfect for this, btw

The other 2 laying worker hives are nuc sized and having a queen right hive put on top, newspaper combine, with a feed jar on top for the bees in the top box until friends have been made. They got dumped half a mile away and flew home on Sunday

the purchased queen in the big hive is a bit at risk, but the combine system works well and will build stronger hives for the queen right one too as this is robbing season. Photos of laying worker cells (multiple eggs per cell etc) when I get time to empty my camera

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and the purchased queen didn't make it. It was a risk. I've been told if I had added a couple of frames of brood from different hives half a day in advance they might have accepted and fed her (she was caged) but hindsight is always 20/20.

I have put a queenright hive on top of each of the other laying worker hives, and I shook them out on sunday so hopefully they will be ok. Will have to pick up outyard hive to put on top of this one. I have them down to 1 box. Froze the 10 medium frames after cutting off what was capped for comb honey. They had been returning to the original location, not enough bees to keep the SHB off

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went through the hives today, both smaller ones that got a queen right hive added have capped & uncapped small worker brood, so they are ok.

The big one that the queen didn't make it in, didn't make it. Those bees had no wax workers when I discovered the drone brood situation a couple of weeks ago, they got old and died. My italian hive next door removed the honey and stored it carefully. There were about 10 bees in there today when I removed 10 beautiful frames of empty comb and stuffed them in the freezer. Gave the chickens some tiny wax worms, and I know I froze some SHB too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts