Laying Worker

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 12, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I should know this but i don't (probably foregot) :confused: . When a laying worker produces Drones,( which is all they can produce) are these drones fertile for breeding? and if so, which genetics will they pull from, the mother queen or their father? When sitting on a tractor plowing all day,(breathing gas fumes all day) it gives you alot of time to think. :mrgreen: Jack

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Drones from a laying worker are no different than those from a fertile queen, since a fertile queen doesn't fertilise an egg when laying that egg in a drone cell. The drones ferom a laying worker willstill pass on the genes from the worker that layed the egg. And therefore the genes from the queen that layed the egg that became the worker.

You could be thinking of worse things. At least you are thinking. :)

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

If you have a queen, and she lays unfertilized eggs, you get drones. This is dictated by environment, need, and timing, to name a few. Your getting the queens genetics, void of the drones genetics.

Pull the queen, and you get laying workers. But those workers are from the genetics of the queen AND the drones from which their eggs were fertilized. So now the drones produced from the laying workers, have both genetics from the selected queen, AND from anywhere from 1 to 15 or more original drones. To which your variation could be wide and varied.

So the genetic material from the queen, and from her workers are different.

Colonies producing drones from laying workers lack possibly everything to include certain pheromones needed for proper hive function, to the wrong mix of worker bees needed for certain tasks. Laying worker colonies are under stress, raising drones, and are not fully functioning colonies. This could effect drone quality and your breeding efforts. I would suggest NOT using laying worker colonies for your drone source.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks for the info, that answers my question. I was thinking (and some times that hurts) that if a drone from a laying worker was as good as a drone from a queen, why wouldn't someone who raises queens start laying worker hives for the drones. I quess those gas fumes got to me. :mrgreen: Jack

5. rast

rast New Member

" I quess those gas fumes got to me. :mrgreen: Jack"
    Hmmm, I'll have to file that one away for future use :D .