laying workers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by milapostol, Jun 3, 2011.

1. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Now my partner and I were having a discussion about the bees. Do laying workers also lay for drone brood? I always thought they were trying to produce a queen, so therefore only lay females.

Please enlighten me!

Thanks,

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Laying workers are undevoloped female bees, they cannot mate so are therefore unable to produce fertilized eggs. They can only lay unfertilized eggs (drones). I have a hive doing this right now. I have been dropping in frames of open brood, trying to persuade them to raise a queen but it seems to be fruitless. I should take a picture of what the combs look like, with scattered drone cells everywhere. :cry:

3. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Ooops, so I was wrong. I'll pretend that I've forgotten to ask this question on the forum. ;) Thanks PerryBee, and I'd love to see some pictures.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

ouch!!!!!! thats going to leave a mark if your partner finds out :oops:

5. milapostol

milapostol New Member

"ouch!!!!!! thats going to leave a mark if your partner finds out :oops:"

My partner is very forgetful when it comes to practical matters. She is very intelligent, but unpractical. She's always losing her keys, wallet, and datebook. :wink:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    She's always losing her keys, wallet, and datebook.

tecumseh:
    must be a northern california kind of thingee???? sounds like a description of my dear wife (always intelligent but also some time impractical). I guess it just goes with the territory in livin' with them 'prume pickers' (a term a snaggled tooth fellow from eat Texas tagged my wife with this past weekend when he discovered she was originally from the Bay area).

7. milapostol

milapostol New Member

tecumseh:
    I guess it just goes with the territory in livin' with them 'prume pickers' (a term a snaggled tooth fellow from eat Texas tagged my wife with this past weekend when he discovered she was originally from the Bay area).[/quote]

I wonder why prune pickers? Unless because prunes cause s***? :lol: