Laying Workers

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

My queen rearing experiment seems to have failed. I see eggs but some cells have two and some have one.
    I saw a worker going from cell to cell sticking her backside in a cell on the same frame so I'm assuming laying workers. They also seemed to have made themselves and capped a queencell which can't be right since they had no brood to do so since March 26th.
    This hive has LOTS of nectar (3 eight frame mediums.)
    The original queen is laying up a storm and I just added a second deep.

A nuc I made up with queen cells at the same time has a queen but I watched her and she lays anywhere she pleases, even on the top bar where there is no comb. Maybe she's inbred or something. The workers have polished some cells for her but she doesn't use them. I could actually see the egg come out because her hind end wasn't in a cell.

I think this failed because the weather turned cold a week after I did this and stayed that way until last week.

What I think I want to do lol:

I have a queen from a cutout who could use more resources. I'd like to combine the two hives and the nuc. I have one of these http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Requeening-Frame/productinfo/274/ . I just don't know what do do about the laying workers. I killed the one I saw doing it but she has 40,000 sisters whose intentions I don't know. It's one heck of a workforce though.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ed

Edit:
    I gave them a frame of eggs and day old larvae. I snapped a pic of the frame I took out: Laying workers or new mated queen?

IMG_1888.jpg IMG_1889.jpg

2. rast

rast New Member

You can try the requeening frame, but it takes a while and you need to add unhatched brood. I used a double screen board and combine, then re-split if you want. No faster, but keeps you from feeling like you lost a hive. Either way, the workers with the strong laying instinct need to age and die. All 40,000 don't have that instinct yet

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I added a frame and will add another on Monday before I head to Indiana. I've read that if I add a frame a week they will finally make queen cells. Maybe next week after they've had 3 frames of brood added I'll put that cut-out queen in a queen cage surrounded by brood and see what they do. Hate to lose a queen though. Maybe now is a good time to set up that queen castle and make a few queens.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The eggs in the pic above came from a newly mated queen, not laying workers.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Iddee said.. with a bit of time and proper nourishment this inappropriate laying behavior will change.

ps... it is not really abnormal for a new queen to make these kind of mistakes.

6. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

What do you see that is telling you this????

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

If you two are correct I'm going to dance the jig!
    :grin:

Would this be why the hive is so docile?
    What is the tell tale sign that this is the work of a queen and not a worker? Is it because the pattern is so tight?

What about my other newly mated queen who I witnessed laying an egg on the top bar? Just new queen behavior?

Man this would be awesome!

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Not more than 3 eggs per cell, and all in the bottom. Laying workers will stick them to the sides, and many will have 4 to 6 per cell.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Not that I can do anything about it, but will the workers remove the extra eggs or are those cells doomed?

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

First thing I thought of also, a young queen needing just a little more time. As stated laying workers will have the eggs on the cell walls and not in the bottom, abdomen is too short.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

They will clean up her mess.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The bees will make it right, whether they remove one or both and let her lay another one.

""If you two are correct I'm going to dance the jig!""

Whadda ya mean, IF? Have you ever known tec to be wrong? :shock: :grin:

13. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Shhh! I'm youtubing "The Jig" so I can learn.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

to be quite forthright I have been wrong on lots of occasions and look forward to being wrong again. I operate under the basic philosophy that the only way not to make mistakes is to do absolutely nothing at all.... and by and large it is our mistakes that provides the very best learning opportunities.

then again (and with no brag either intended or implied) when Iddee and I are back to back and in total agreement on some subject related to beekeeping (which we generally are) you can have little doubt as to the correctness of our statements.

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

^^Well, you can look forward to being wrong on someone elses thread, I need this one! lol

Although I haven't seen any this year, someone told me this could be the work of the SHB.
    Has anyone seen SHB do this?

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I most certain will 'do dat' Eddy.

and good luck on the queen rearing...

17. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

In a laying worker hive, will the bees try to cap the cells like worker cells or do they know that these are drones and raise the cappings?

18. melrose

melrose New Member

A worker can't reach the bottom of the cell when depositing eggs. If a worker were laying, you'd see eggs attached to the wall of the cell.

19. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

At this point I'll have to wait until next weekend and check the capped brood.

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

By next weekend, you will see one egg per cell in many consecutive cells.