Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to beekeeping and need all the help I can get....
I started with one nuc, which expanded rapidly to a 10 frame deep, which did fantastically until a bear decided to lick my frames clean.
So I rescued the bees that were left after the bear attack, placed them back into the hive, and purchased a new queen. I also purchased another nuc for a second colony.
After 6 weeks, The original hive has 3 frames of bees, honey, pollen, nectar, and the queen is walking around happily, but she has produced NO eggs or brood.
The new hive has 4 frames of bees, plenty of honey, pollen, nectar, but I cannot visualize the queen or see eggs or brood.
What is going on??

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts
how much flow do you have going on? Bees have to have flow, or the queen won't lay and they won't draw comb. Meantime feed syrup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What’s the easiest way to determine how much flow is going on? Supposedly there are a bunch of things blooming, but how do I know if a) it’s enough or b) it’s close enough for the bees to take advantage of?

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts
What do you have blooming within 2 miles, and are the bees actively coming and going? When in doubt on queen or trying to get comb pulled (not for honey harvest) feeding syrup will help you get them started

1 - 5 of 5 Posts