Learning curve

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Vance, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Vance

Vance New Member

This is my second spring. Last year i started with 1 package and one cutout, everything went fine. Added another cut out in November. All made it thru the winter. Now this spring the population on all 3 has exploded, and i must admit i'm a little intimidated by the numbers. When i open a hive for inspection there are bees everywhere, it seems like there are thousands in the air around me. Any advice on getting comfortable working a large hive.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Work them more often, and in the best weather you can. The nicer the weather, the nicer the bees.

Try to find an older beek who will work them with you without wearing his protective gear. More time with the ladies when they are in a good mood, and seeing him go unprotected, both will help with your fears.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I think that is one of the biggest fears to get over (besides getting stung) is just all of the bees buzzing around your head. I have come to listen to the different sounds of the buzz they make, it can tell you their mood most times. Just don't let them get you so frazzled that you get nervous and start getting rough or jerky with things, only makes things worse. When a good flow is on they hardly even notice you, they have better things to do. It took me several years to be able to work them without gloves and a veil, I always keep them handy though, never know the temperment of a bunch of women.

Getting stung every now and then is going to happen, just like going swimming, your gonna get wet.

Iddee gave some very good pointers, and the weather really does make a difference.

Good luck and keep up your confidence.

G3

4. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

Just get your mind set that you WILL be stung... It really isn't all that bad and sometimes it doesn't happen. It's like a fear of needles at the doctors office. The anticipation is WAY worse than the shot.
    My second year with the bees my wife wanted me to show her freinds the inside of a hive. I picked a usually gentle bunch (that I later determined to be queenless) and gave all three sets of protective gear to the women. I managed to get most of the lesson done with only a few stings but I had to sneeze... It finally got the best of me and I sneezed right accross the top of an open double deep jammed with queenless bees and me with no gear of any kind. I got stung somewhere in the area of fifty times and most of it was on my face and neck. :thumbsup: After that little episode I just kind of figured I could handle whatever they wanted to do to me. :Dancing: Now I kind of like getting stung. :shock:

5. rast

rast New Member

It really is like they said. It just takes some time to get used to them buzzing about you. Ignoring them is a better description. Wear whatever you feel most comfortable working them in and don't let someone else's macho image interfere with enjoying them. Bees that are "worked" are less prone to be aggressive than bees that are left alone for long periods of time, hive factors being "normal".

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I ain't certain where in north Texas you might be located??? but find yourself a bee club and some old hands to show you the ropes.

we have a bee school (late March) with our bee club in Brenham that is designed to overcome the inhibition/fear that you describe.

at this time of the year you should have extra boxes to place on the hive for the extremely quick population explosion in the hives. sounds like the hives are having space issues.

ps... or go find a big commercial operation and help load a semi truck load of bees. if the million plus bees in the air don't cure your malady nothing will.