Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just introduced a package to my first hive two days ago. I mistakenly left 3 if the frames out believing I was supposed to install them on my first inspection. I'm concerned they will start making comb in the open space instead of the frames. How do I fix this without killing off the hive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just introduced a package to my first hive two days ago. I mistakenly left 3 if the frames out believing I was supposed to install them on my first inspection. I'm concerned they will start making comb in the open space instead of the frames. How do I fix this without killing off the hive?
This is not even close to a concern. It will take a few days to release the queen. I assume you have no drawn comb, this could take a month or more before they even need the frames.
I would not put the frames in until a week has gone (roughly based on weather), and your reason to check will be to see if the queen has been released.
My only other gentle nudge, two hives is so much better than one when you first start. In so many ways it just helps to tell if one is "off" or if it the weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is not even close to a concern. It will take a few days to release the queen. I assume you have no drawn comb, this could take a month or more before they even need the frames. I would not put the frames in until a week has gone (roughly based on weather), and your reason to check will be to see if the queen has been released. My only other gentle nudge, two hives is so much better than one when you first start. In so many ways it just helps to tell if one is "off" or if it the weather.
I wound up opening it up on day 4, they had drawn 3 combs in the space from the bottom of the inner cover, I felt so bad cutting it off, but there wasn't any brood in those. The queen cage was empty but I didn't see her. I didn't really look at the frames too much cause I just wanted to get in and out asap.

·
Super Moderator
3,543 Posts
I wound up opening it up on day 4, they had drawn 3 combs in the space from the bottom of the inner cover, I felt so bad cutting it off, but there wasn't any brood in those. The queen cage was empty but I didn't see her. I didn't really look at the frames too much cause I just wanted to get in and out asap.
I run my mediums foundationless, so if I had cut those combs off, I'd have strapped them into an empty medium with rubberbands, the bees reconnect everything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts