Leftover bees from swarm removal

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by omnimirage, Oct 10, 2015.

1. omnimirage

omnimirage New Member

Yesterday I removed a bee swarm from a cabinet, about the size of good soccer ball. During such, many bees ran outside the cabinet, and I was unable to reach take them. Today, I get a phone call from the client saying that there's many bees still left in the cabinet; she said that they were about a forearm long, and half a forearm wide.

I'm not sure what to do now. Is it worth the drive back up there to fetch the rest of those bees? If not, can she simply spray them with insect killer? Is there a way of confirming whether I got the queen? Seems like there's a low-moderate chance that I didn't capture her. Should I wait until night, plug up the hive with the rest of the bees, take it up to the client's place and merge all the bees together? Or should I take an empty nucleus to the client's place for those bees? I've read that swarms can have multiple queens, so if I did it this way, I could potentially make get two hives out of it?

Advice much appreciated.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I always leave an old nuc box where I do a removal, with a single frame in it and a screwed on bottom, hole drilled in front, just something for the bees to move into. If you didn't get the queen I'd be getting back up there with a beevac and a box you can leave behind for them to hide in.

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I'd go back; sorta free bees and good customer service. I might take at least a few of the first bees, too.

...and if at all possible this time of year, put some unsealed brood from somewhere in the nuc you leave behind. The urge is strong for the bees to march in and take care of brood.

4. Gypsi

good idea on the brood Ibeelearning!

5. omnimirage

omnimirage New Member

Interesting idea on the brood thanks! The bees were gone by the time I got there. Is that an indication that I got the queen?

6. Gypsi

You either got the queen or they all took off with her. If they did they stand a chance, as this is your early spring, correct?

7. omnimirage

omnimirage New Member

8. Gypsi

Good for you. How are the ones you got looking? You feeding a lot of syrup?

9. omnimirage

omnimirage New Member

I checked up on them a day after collecting them, haven't checked them since. Should I be doing so? I haven't been feeding them anything. They're in a good area with a lot of flow; should I be doing so anyway, to help them start out?

10. Gypsi

I'd give them some syrup just to be safe. Wax takes a LOT of nectar or syrup and I don't know if you got a lot of their comb?

11. Hawk

Hawk New Member

I say go back and finish what you started...

12. LizzeB

LizzeB New Member

I'm impressed that you guys can charge for removal. In rural US, we consider swarm capture (not hive removal) a bonus. I'd take a cardboard box there, grab them, and add them to your rest of it back at your bee yard. They may need those additional workers to get there feet set. Spraying them would be a shame, and if left alone...they will eventually die anyhow.