Lesson learned again

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by LilWilli, Nov 17, 2009.

1. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Once again I have found that I bumbled a catch opportunity twice....In tearing down two empty hives today, it came to me why they were empty (at least I think so---lol). I had provided too much space for the swarms. Why they stayed long enough to build a super full of foundationless comb, I dunno, but they were gone after me seeing activity just last week.
    I was of a mind that bigger might be better, so I placed a super onto a brood for the trap. There was no building in either of the broods. Both went to the top, and built in the supers---then left---no extra bodies around to indicate a fight.
    Oh well, next year will come, and I will be ready to go at it once more. I will be to read up or ask questions before jumping in with both feet----That's a good way to find a tiger trap. :|
    Rick

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We have a problem sometimes with giving the bees too much real estate too. We don't mean to, we are just trying to be generous. :oops:

3. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Mama Beek: Do you use broods or a super for your traps?
    Thanks,
    Rick

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I use broods for traps, old ones that are not in the greatest of shape, a couple of frames of old comb seem to work best.

G3

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

a deep brood is what we've used in the past. from now on it's gonna most likely be a nuc with some good used brood comb in it.... Unless one of y'all sweet, more knowledgeable beeks wants to help me figure out what's best :beg: :)

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Sign me up for the "provides too much space" club! Luckily bees are smarter than I am. Early October I noticed that one of my hives was packed solid with honey, but it was still small for wintering. So I put another super on (with drawn comb) and kept feeding. They took 2:1 syrup for ~6 weeks. I looked in the other day, and the new super is still totally empty. Obviously they found better places to store the syrup, so I removed it for the winter.

They are still small for this latitude (1 deep + 1 shallow) so we'll see how they fare over the winter.

7. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Then broods are the thing for me...I do have some 8-frame nucs I built. They'll be out there, too.

8. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

I do have two supers full of pretty comb to use....Would they do together or seperately as a trap?---I suppose I could cut it out and rubber band it onto a brood frames if need be... Let me know, please and thank you.
    Rick~LilWilli

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would use one frame of drawn comb per trap. Being too short won't hurt anything. They will just hang new comb down to the right height. It can be cut off later, or left as is in the brood chamber. I have one deep with all medium frames. The bottom strips on the frames now run through, rather than under, the comb. All you are after is the smell. The older the comb, the better.

A drop or two of lemongrass oil or Bjorn's swarm lure will also help.

10. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Thanks, Iddee...I have both of those lures, and will have two traps instead of one....That's cool for me. :thumbsup:

11. Brenda

Brenda New Member

A couple of last years brood comb frames, and some of bjorn's swarm lure was all I needed to lure a swarm into a bait hive last May. :thumbsup: I'm going to try for another this spring.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

OK OK so tell me what is Bjorn's magic swarm lure, I missed something some where.

G3

13. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

It's a liquid pheromone that works well. I bought some last year and was pleased.---comes in a vial.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member