Liability question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Larus, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

I just harvested some extracted honey from my hives and would like to sell some to people. Someone I know has brought up an interesting question that I've never considered. What if someone eats some of my honey, gets sick for whatever reason, and blames it on the honey? I know that one doesn't need any permits or licenses to sell honey, but what other precautions do people take to avoid trouble and/or lawsuits?

Thanks very much.

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'm not a lawyer, but I would imagine that they would have to prove that the honey was the source of the illness. I would warn about botulism for infants under 1....even though I don't necessarily agree with it...just for cya purposes.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Laurus:
    Get on the website of your state dept. of agriculture. They should be able to lead you in the right direction. I live in Ohio, but the laws are different state to state. If you have a regular attorney (and too many of us do in this day and age) you may want to consult with him/her. I too am harvesting a small amount, don't know whether I'll have enough to sell-all my friends-"You're keeping bees? When do we get free honey?" LOL.
    On the serious side-check with Mann Lake, Brushy Mountain, or any of the other beekeeping supply companies-they sell labels warning about not giving honey to children under the age of 1 year. Like Mama Beek said, "I'm not a lawyer" but I would think that this would absolve you of the responsibility.
    Good luck

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Does bottled water have to carry a warning about the possibility of choking? :confused:

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I think it depends on the country of origin. Here in the U.S. there are warnings about choking on the water, warnings about choking on the bottle cap, warnings about choking on the bottle, and probably warnings about choking on the case the bottle came in. Not to mention the truck that the bottled water was transported in.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Gunny, you're funny :goodpost:

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

efm:
    You're a poet and don't know it.
    It's a sad state of affairs, not only here, but around the world. People can sue you for about anything.
    I try to find humor in adversity. "I laugh to keep from crying." I don't know who to attribute that quote to, but it seems fo fit.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I've even received a few (junk) emails recommending to help me sue someone for anything. [anyone for everything?]
    Too bad some people take it seriously. :cry:

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm going to sue you all for reducing my honey sales with this thread. It's scaring my customers.

But I'm not gonna worry about my honey making anyone sick. It actually does the reverse.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Have your lawyer speak to mine

11. rast

rast New Member

An example. I went to the Publix bakery where I have gotten food grade buckets before. They said they couldn't give them away anymore because they did not have an infant drowning label on them. I looked at regular buckets in the hardware store and they did.
    Last week an infant drowned in a 5 gal bucket in a carport here in Fl. Sad, but if no label in multiple languages, a lawyer can make some money.
    Larus, it is different state to state on label and license requirements. (No difference on lawyers).

12. Zulu

Zulu Member

Pathetic

13. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

Check with your indurance Co. An umbrella policy is really cheap & covers you for almost anything you can think of. Warning labels are good but, as my lawyer said " Anyone can sue you for anything no matter what the disclaimer says"

14. milapostol

milapostol New Member

It's sorta sad we've come to this. How is someone supposed to think of all contingencies? You can't!

Having worked in restaurants for a long time, I learned that, for example, if someone cracks a tooth on an olive, they cannot sue because olives inherently have pits.

15. rast

rast New Member

And coffee is normally hot. Yep ,sad.

16. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

So they infant's life would have been saved if it had read the warning label on the bucket?

Warning labels aren't a bad idea, but it is stupid to fill our landfills perfectly good items because there are no labels.

17. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

wow...you guys have alot of lawyers...i cant afford a lawyer cuz my X-wifes lawyer smoked my lawyers but in court....then they (my lawyer an her lawyer) went outside the court room an made golf an lunch plans (not kidding...it was jaw dropping)....i still owe that lawyer like 3 or 4 grand....i paid for hers too....id like to stick her head in a 5 gallon bucket for a few glorious minutes...sighhhh....i have seen those lables....do astroids an meteors come with warning lables...or how bout the big blue ice cubes from jet planes (snicker)...if i was a pilot id fly over my X-wifes house an drop blue cubes like they were daisy cutters....muah hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah....wait...does this fourm have a disclaimer for funny posts about blue ice cubes falling from the sky and clocking my X an her lawyer in the skull....i better shut up now :/

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?

After all, you are the one that said: I DO!

19. rast

rast New Member

Blue ice cubes. Reminds me of an oldtimers advice to me to not fish under the railroad bridge :eek: .

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

---or walk under a ladder---or walk the path where a black cat crossed....or...or