Liquid feeding temperatures

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crackerbee, Nov 5, 2011.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I've seen a few posts regarding temperatures and/or time of year that liquid feeding should stop and start,but not the actual temp that liquid feeding should be discontinued and dry feeding should start,to prevent excess moisture in the hive.

Thoughts?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Temp. would change with relative humidity, but I would say 50 F. would be a good starting point. They are starting to form a cluster at that temp.

3. rast

rast New Member

In your travels, if you look at the commercials migratory hives starting next month, most feed all winter. Inverted buckets.

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Iddee,is that 50* daytime temps or nighttime?

Rast,when you say inverted buckets does that mean I don't have to bother with dry feeding because it doesn't get cold enough down here?

5. rast

rast New Member

Not really what I meant, but I guess it could be taken that way. I don't think it stays cold enough, long enough down here to keep them clustered long enough to not be able to get to liquid feed. I only remember one time a couple of years ago when it stayed cold enough for my bees to stay in the hive for a week. My opinion is rain keeps our bees in the hive for more total daylight hours than cold. The commercials that I have associated with have only used liquid and I mimicked them. Better? I don't know. Easier, yes. Pull up in a yard of 50 hives in a truck with a couple of drums of syrup and a pump, refill the feeder buckets or swap em out if you have enough buckets.
    Just another opinion if I may. Dry feeding requires more processing by the bees than liquid I feel and I don't want em to work any harder than they have to if I'm having to buy their food. The harder they work, the more they eat :) .

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They begin to cluster at about 55 F. and are at full cluster at about 43 F. You can decide from there when they can fan the humid air out, and when they can't.

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

My bees are out flying in force at 45 degrees bringing in lots of pollen...Italians...go figure...lol

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That's 45 in the open. Check at the hive entrance and see what it is. I'm guessing it will be 50 or higher.

9. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

In Florida you can feed liquid almost all year. If it stays below 50 in the hive you can stop or move your hive to the sun where it always warms up in Florida.

10. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Thanks all for the help and advice. :thumbsup: .