little bit of fun

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

went to help out a friend today remove a shed and ended up with two and a half 5 gallon buckets of honey:dance: the house was a short sale he picked up (what a dump) never saw the queen but when they started piling up and fanning on the vac I think I got her, 1st bay was a mix of brood and honey, second bay was all capped honey just rows and rows.

Attached Files:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Awhhhh Man, you're just killin the Tundra Crew up here with that!

(But keep posting pictures though!) :wink:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for posting those pictures! I am jealous of all the fun you are having. You are becoming quite a regular at removals and shed floors to boot. I can't get over how many build that close to the ground...

Do you ever get a any stings to the hand?

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Oyes I got nailed 4 times today in the hands, but they were not after me it was me grabbing them by mistake pulling comb, we jarred a few when we got home but for the most part we will get it all done on Tuesday, its a bright yellow/orange color, not sure what flowers its from but tastes real good.

Attached Files:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:coolphotos:....!
    awesome photographs....btw...."A LITTLE BIT OF FUN"?.....:lol:
    and a great reward.....bees and liquid gold :yahoo:

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Im thinking somewhere around 60 lbs of honey maybe more:cool:

7. Lburou

Lburou Member

I'm jealous! How many pounds of bees did you get? Find the queen yet?

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

the bees filled 2 medium supers with 10 frames and I wont know if I got the queen for a few days, Ill let them settle in then I will look for her or queen cells.

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, Im off on my honey estimate, we have jarred a total of 68 lbs and I still have a full bucket to crush, 1 heck of a hive, I hope the queens in there I like the genes in this bunch.:grin:

Attached Files:

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I hope you've got the queen also. It sound and looks like you are starting to amass a great genetic gene pool. Some may be inclined to swarm more readily, but if you stay ahead of them with your swarm control.... What am I saying! Even if the do swarm you will find then, cut them, out re-hive the girls, and take more honey from then than they would have produced if they remained in the hive.
    If I lived down in the Florida area You local surviving bee genes are what I would be after. Have you started the process of determining which colonies to use for queens, which for drones, and which to place as far away from the mating nucs.
    Great photos as always Thanks and keep posting.

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

when I got home last night I put a deep on top of this hive with 10 wet frames and I did notice they were very calm, I didnt use smoke I just popped the top and looked in and not even 1 became angry, so my hopes are still up on the queen. but looking at everything right now I will most likely hold off on any real queen breeding efforts because I have grown so fast I have to focus more on setting up for a much larger honey crop next season, even my wax melting is lacking right now, I have buckets just capped with filled with old wax and cappings, I need a more efficient way to clean it then a small box out in the sun.

12. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Looks like you stole the "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow! Great find my friend. :drinks:

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Zookeep, you are absolutely amazing. You don't have just a "green thumb", it's a "golden hand" you can boast of. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

First, quit your day job! (This is more fun anyways) :wink:
    Did you pick up that Dadant 20 for $400? :mrgreen:
    Here's one in action!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XO1FEZhESk&feature=related

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

here is the last of the honey from this hive, we just jarred another 37 lbs for a grand total of 105 lbs :thumbsup::dance::yahoo:

Attached Files:

16. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

105 pounds! Wow! That's great!

17. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I took a good look around today I did not see the queen but lots of new brood in the full deep of wet frames I added so I scored the queen:dance::dance::dance: (dance party at my yard)

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah! Always great to get the queen too!