Little Tips

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by mick stevenson, Feb 15, 2010.

1. mick stevenson

mick stevenson New Member

Hello, this is my first post here as I am completely new to beekeeping, and just getting as much advice and information as I can before diving in and actually buying the equipment and the Bees.

I have been combing the forum and writing down things that i think I need, but I am really interested in hearing from the old timers if you like, I work in agriculture and am always hearing pearls of wisdom that you can never get out of a book from the older farmers, so would it be possible to give me them sayings or little tips on using this or doing that.

Thanks, Mick.

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Always have fun and keep a sense of humor.

Example....If anyone suggests they have completely resistant bees, a natural way of keeping bees, or anything that even seems absolute in any suggestions of being foolproof or 100 effective....laugh. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Not sure what equipment is readily available in the UK, but you may want to research using all mediums instead of deeps and shallows. Here's the opinions of one knowledgeable beekeeper:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

(Check out the rest of his site, too. Good info there.)

It's a personal preference, but I wish I had known about it before I bought. For myself, with only a few hives, the interchangeability would have been an advantage.

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

That's good advice Hobie! We foolishly tried all deeps first.... not kind to the back, but we sure did enjoy seeing that much honey in one place.

Welcome to the forum Mick! :wave: A wise beekeeper told us when we started to ask someone (or many someones) a question about what you are going to do BEFORE you actually do it in the hive, you might save yourself a bunch of trouble.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum Mick.

Lots of good advice here.

G3

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well as my dad use to say... if you don't know the tricks you don't know the trade.

the first two things comes to mind..
    1) reading the condition of a hive from only what you see at the front entrance.

and

2) learn how to read a cluster's volume (upon first splitting the boxes apart and usually without removing a single frame) that is appropriate for the season.

the above two things are critical in apply the idea that follows:

I promote the idea of triage in beekeeping so I like to identify 1) boomer (who may have extra resources for bring along group 3) 2) the mediums (you only need to make certain these have adequate space during the honey flow) and 3) 'the dinks' some can be brought along by providing resources from group 1 and some will always just be dinks (these usually get requeened or stacked depending on how far along the season has advanced).

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I strongly agree, and for this I recommend the book "At the Hive Entrance" by H. Storch. It's an older book, not very lengthy, but has excellent information. Available in the US at Betterbee. Not sure about UK.
    http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=460

8. rast

rast New Member

Bjorn-"Always have fun and keep a sense of humor."
    WoW, I thought only Tec and Iddee were qualified to answer. :D

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

something I always have to remember when you find a dead out or a swarm absconds................

It was just a box of bugs to start with!

G3

10. rast

rast New Member

Also add to G3's post that they don't get emotionaly attached to their keeper either cause they don't live long enough if they were capable.