liven up this place

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Nov 14, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Rat, being in a room full of some of the hillbillies i've known over the years would deter anyone from even trying the stuff. :lol: :lol: Stick tight man. Jack

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wagon ho!!! :lol:
    hey my beehat is off to you riverrat, and omie too....

you keep stirring up the bee rooms! one of my sober bros sent me this the other day, have to share cuz you guys are talking about 'pushing'....and you have to laugh at yourself or others.....my bro says it helps keep him on the wagon!

A man and his wife were awakened at 3:00 am by a loud pounding on the door. The man gets up and goes to the door where a drunken stranger, standing in the pouring rain, is asking for a push.

"Not a chance," says the husband, "it is 3:00 in the morning!"

He slams the door and returns to bed.

"Who was that?" asked his wife.

"Just some drunk guy asking for a push," he answers.

"Did you help him?" she asks.

"No, I did not, it is 3:00 in the morning and it is pouring rain out there!"

"Well, you have a short memory," says his wife. "Can't you remember about three months ago when we broke down, and those two guys helped us? I think you should help him, and you should be ashamed of yourself! God loves drunk people too.

The man does as he is told, gets dressed, and goes out into the pounding rain. He calls out into the dark, "Hello, are you still there?"

"Yes," comes back the answer.

"Do you still need a push?" calls out the husband.

"Yes, please!" comes the reply from the dark.

"Where are you?" asks the husband.

"Over here on the swing set," replied the drunk.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Well spent last 2 days in st louis driving shrine van to hospital from wichita one of the passengers was my daughter headed for a check up today I saw her walk normal and flat footed on her right foot and also stand suporting her body weight on her right foot with her left off the floor un assisted these are both first for her in her 16 years of being on this earth. After we left the hospital and was headed home I remembered today is the day I quit drinking 8 months ago. Things just keep getting better. We both shared milestones in life today and it was great :D :Dancing:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Rat that is some great news, that is good enough for tears of joy!!

5. Omie

Omie Active Member

Way to go Riverrat. :)

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Life can be good! That's great!

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you know I have never had any problem with alcohol beside a short spell as a binge drinker in college and a bit later during my tour in the us navy. I know nothing of the 12 step plan besides it being a program of AA. I have been told that full blown alcoholics have their mental and emotional state frozen in place... so with an alcoholic they may be 60 and emotionally represent the age of a 16 year old.

comments....

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like stereotyping to me. People are different, and one size doesn't fit all. Alcohol may make one act immature, but the effects are gone when the alcohol wears off. Also, there are all kinds of alcoholics. Some keep it totally secret and never go out while drinking. Those can go for many years and friends never even know they drink.

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I have known more "alcoholics" in my life than I would ever have dreamed possible. I also have very different opinions on that subject than most people but my opinions are all based on what I've lived, learned, and seen firsthand. Like all things a persons mental/emotional well being has more influencing factors than the chemicals that they put into their bodies. That said, I have seen many family members and friends "stunt" themselves emotionally with alcohol to the extent that it was years after they stopped drinking before their emotional well being was able to catch up to their intelligence. I have also seen some who I thought may have leaned on alcohol too heavily because they simply couldn't cope with their own emotions which were "stunted" by some other life trauma.

I always wondered which came first, the drinking problem or the inability to function well emotionally and make healthy decisions. I asked my Dad (who drank heavily all his life), but he was never able to figure it out either. :dontknow:

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I drank enough beer to float a good size boat when i was in the service. couldn't drink the hard stuff, it made me mean. :confused: Never had a problem quiting, never really liked the taste of the stuff. Took that after my grandpa, i remember an uncle (by marriage) talking grandpa into tasting beer, he ask grandpa what he thought of it after he took a sip. Grandpa said, i think you ought to put it back in the horse where it came from. :lol: :lol: Jack

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I never did like the taste of beer, brown liquor or moonshine kept in the freezer was my drink of choice. Good shine was hard to beat and goes down real smooth like. Have not had a drop in over 22 years. Married a good woman from the hills and had a good job, just figured it was time to grow up. i don't drink now and probably never will again, can't stand to be around anybody that is.

12. Omie

Omie Active Member

Alcoholics don't really care whether it tastes good or awful, they don't stop drinking simply because it makes them mean or damages their family. They drink whether they are happy and celebrating or sad and depressed. They drink whether they are smart or dumb, whether they are mature or immature, loved or unloved, whether it's an appropriate time to drink or not an appropriate time, whether they are expressing their emotions or suppressing their emotions, whether they are with friends at a party or alone. It's easy for non-alcoholics to speculate on the reasons that cause others to drink too much, and it's easy for alcoholics to use these same reasons as their excuses to explain why they drink. In actuality, there is only ONE reason someone can't stop drinking- and that is simply because they are an alcoholic.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

very well said omie :goodpost:

15. Omie

Omie Active Member

hey, thanks. :)

now I'm off to go to a contra dance over the border in MA, and dance my brains out for 3 hours. That way I can have guilt free French toast and bacon tomorrow morning at Ralph's cafe, and keep my girlish figure! :dance:
    [youtube:1sumzj1m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9L0dz3qmsc[/youtube:1sumzj1m]

16. rast

rast New Member

Well, that's nice. Looks like a *northern* version of what we call square dancing down here.

*politically correct location description*

17. Murrell

Murrell New Member

This is starting to sound like a temperance meeting !

And yes, I do enjoy a cold beer now and then, hope that don't reflex on my bee keeping ability !

Murrell

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Actually, it sounds more like an AA meeting. Most of us seem to be recovering alkies. I drank heavily for TOOOOO many years. Quit being a regular about 15 years ago. Still not adverse to having a cold one now and then. I've probably drank 4 or 5 this year.

19. Omie

Omie Active Member

:lol: Yes, it is a kind of 'northern' version of square dancing.
    They sometimes dance squares, but I wish they would more often.
    Actually, my husband and I play fiddle and banjo, and we prefer to play tunes from Kentucky and WV, TN and VA. :doh: We're not big fans of the 'northern' dance music, but I like dancing and it's great exercise, so that's what I get!

20. riverrat

riverrat New Member

isnt it amazing where we end up on a thread started out as a firecracker in a crowd we been to an aa meeting a square dance shriners hospital and who knows where the next stop on the wagon will be. Tough crowd here but ya got to likem all. Just one more reason to stop in here to see whats around the next bend in the road