liven up this place

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Nov 14, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Omie, square dancing and the old time country music is great listening and good exercise, not this junk they call country music nowaday.Please keep the polka music and dance up north, i was stationed in Little Falls, Minn.and i can't stand the sound of it to this day. A hangover and polka music don't go together. :mrgreen: Jack

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

Hi Brooks...
    I'll keep an eye out for any polka music...though I haven't come across any yet ...except on old Lawrence Welk show reruns! :shock:
    I do like the sound of accordions, button boxes, and concertinas though, i confess. But what do I know, I'm just a banjo player! :lol:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for your insights into alcoholism and alcoholics. It sounds like you have considered the question quite a bit... perhaps eve done some mentoring for AA?

an Omie snip...
    I do like the sound of accordions, button boxes, and concertinas though, i confess. But what do I know, I'm just a banjo player!

tecumseh:
    ahh Omie you would just love traditional Mexican music. lots of umm, pa, pa in their songs which they turn up real loud for almost any and all holidays. I however don't think I have ever seen a Mexican band with a banjo.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Omie - the banjo! I'm impressed. The man who takes care of my slate roof is a banjo player in this band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypTe_RXmybo
    Barry's in the back, banjo-ing away!

I loved it - when he and his guys show up to work, there is always a banjo in the back seat of his truck.

5. Omie

Omie Active Member

I DO love traditional Mexican music! I love Tejano, and also the old rancheros. I have quite a few CDs of Mexican traditional music I like to listen to. I speak Spanish, so I get to understand the very beautiful and romantic lyrics to the songs. Mexican music is wonderful. :D

6. Omie

Omie Active Member

That's a good example of what we call 'old-time music', well played. :) It's the same kind of music my husband and I play too. (pre-bluegrass early American fiddle tunes mostly dating between 1850-1940)

Here are a couple of clips of me playing both banjo and mountain dulcimer, playing with my wonderful husband who is a very good fiddler. I'm very lucky! :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF-Hoa_GduY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeVB1iGFa6Q

7. Charles

Charles New Member

Great videos Omie you guy's sounded great! When will the CD's be hitting the music stores :thumbsup: