loacating hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by frankh, May 18, 2011.

1. frankh

frankh New Member

Soon I will be setting up my three hives. I am trying to decide where to place them. One spot would be at a remote spot of my property where winter access is not very easy. The other spot is down near my home, but is within fifteen feet of the lawn, where the tractor will pass when mowing the grass. Do you think this will bother the bees, or my son driving the tractor? My main concern is winter protection from the wind, as we are in upstate NY, in our own personal arctic. Both spots get good southerly sunshine, with wind protection to the rear. What's your thoughts? Thanks
    Frank

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome to the forum.

I lived in upstate NY and never found winter access anywhere easy. :)

Our hives are positioned in a side lot and we have a roll of chicken wire in front of each one for skunk protection. When we mow, we move the chicken wire and mow directly in front of the hives. Neither my wife nor I have been bothered by the girls.

Now, using a weed whacker is another story. :shock:

Walt

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Mow with the mower discharge away from the hives, don't dilly-dally around and you should have no problems.

I have asphalt roofing shingles about a foot in back of the hives, undeneith and about 2 feet in front works good for me. :chased:

Murrell

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

I mow up to 3 ft from the hives. Aim - max speed - keep going. Not been tagged yet.

I cut the grass right in front with manual hedge clippers. Not been brave enough to use the weedeater yet :D

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I mow and weed eat right to them and under them. Sometimes they let me, other times they say no. They do warn me, tho, with their actions and sound. I haven't been tagged yet, as I leave when they tell me. Then go back later when they're in a better mood.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I mow up to one hive... I use the push mower instead of the riding because it allows me to stand about 4' away while mowing in front of the hive. Only been pinged once when they were queenless but never been stung doing that, at least not that I recall, though my memory ain't what it used to be. My memory should be improving later this year when I am finished with college (again).

7. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

I've been lucking mowing (ride right by, but always with the discharge going away from them), and weed eating has never been a problem either. I have my two hives sitting on a table with the table legs in plastic containers (oil moat to keep ants away) and then on top of a tarp. I like to be able to better monitor/see the area about 2 feet in front of the hives for what they're dragging out during their housekeeping chores. :thumbsup:

8. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

I use the drive-by shooting method when mowing.I've got a zero turn Toro that does about 8 mph and get set up make the first pass closest to the hives with the grass discharge pointed away,zip by them and don't look back.I'm on the other side of the yard before they knew what happened.I do it this way because the first time I mowed around the hives this year,this is how I found out the new hive was queenless,they lit me and my poor dog up :chased: before we knew what happened.The dog stays in the house when I do the back yard now.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I don't blame the poor dog, I would stay in the house and laugh at you too. :lol: