local steam engine and tractor show

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by riverrat, Aug 20, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Just got back from the annual k&O steam engine show attendance and exhibits are both down this year it seams to be dwindling into a has been show. From what Im told its that way at most shows the old timers are dying off and the younger generation is not interested. Its a shame I go over and look at them old machines that are still running. Them ole boys that built them didnt have computers or even calculators for that matter all the machine work was done manually without cnc equipment. I bet 90 percent of the things produced on a cnc machine are gone after 30 years now days. But it just amazes me what them ole boys did with what little they had. and to think some people in our shop have trouble holding plus or minus .03 tolerance with what they have to work with simply amazing. Nothing more exciting to see an old timers eyes light up and say I remember when that ole allis sold new. Then tell ya stories about running it.

2. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I am interested! I love to look at the old tractors but, I've just started trying to learn about them. A friend of ours in Mo. had a couple antique tractors he would take to shows and a shelf full of trophies he won with them. Unfortunately, I don't remember what kind they were, sorry. Just that they were pretty and I always wished I had one just like it.

I would like to know why folks prefer different brands of tractors over others. And for pete's sake don't argue over the colors! I am honestly trying to pick sides here and am looking for practical reasons why certain names are better than others?
    It seems like half of everyone is against john deere but no one knows why, and the other half are divided by Oliver and Farmall. As an amateur tractor junkie I simply don't understand the practical differences between the three. :dontknow:

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

The big one was an old Oil Rumley Baby, it was your favorite when you were little bitty. He also had an old Case that he had restored, and another neighbor had a really nice Farmall.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

John Deer are painted green so they can hide in the field while the red (farmalls) do all the work. :mrgreen: Jack

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

an old farmer I help out once in a while takes his equipment over to the show. the family is 4th generation farmers. They still have the original equipment when there elders bought when it was new. The equipment is all running they take it over and show the have the old hit and miss motor thast ran the single milker belt driven corn shellers and all allis tractors. The thing is a lot of the equipment they still ujse daily on the farm

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

To Baby Beek; Alot of it depends on what they grew up with,Great Granddad started out with a John Deere because the dealership was nearby or the only game around or it had the features he wanted/implements he needed. Great Uncle Orvile used Case because the John Deere dealer stole his girlfriend in 1939 and Uncle Orvile was NOT going to give him a dime of his money. You see it today as well Dell vs. HP or Compac Ford or Chevy. Lang vs. TBH, 8 frame vs. 10 , Honeybees vs. sea monkeys Sometimes its the best just because YOU like the Color. LOL Jim

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Rat you are right, the younger generation is just not interested and the older folks are giving it up or dying off. I have a neighbor who is into the hit n miss engines big time. He traveled all over the US to shows and looking for engines and parts. Last year he gave it up and started selling off most of his collection. I bet he had 80 engines and all looked brand new. Some of his stuff was really oddball and high dollar (according to him since I know nothing about them).

8. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

My next door neighbor bought his five acre parcel when I was about ten. It is a 1920 something home and the three barns are older than that. The previous owner offered to have the tractor graveyard of about twenty cleaned up but George said it was fine... He has since restored each tractor one by one from popping johnny's all the way up to Ford model 8's. He doesn't waste time making them look nice but they will run like new when he's done. His everyday farm truck literally has wooden spokes. He runs that thing to town for parts three times a week at forty five miles an hour and it runs better than my bee truck. He farms five acres of pecans the same as it was done fifty years ago complete with a boom shaker.
    This same neighbor also built a to-scale miniature train track around his place complete with cars and three separate engines that are replicas of vintage trains and are powered like the original. He has close to a mile of track winding around his place.
    That same neighbor(this has nothing to do with trains or tractors, it's just funny) takes his yellow lab EVERYWHERE with him. He walked into a resteraunt in town with the dog and a waitress ran over and asked if it was a service dog. He told her he had a personality disorder (He really is an a-hole) and the dog helps him make freinds. He now has free reign to take the dog, off leash, wherever he goes. :mrgreen:

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Maybe it's the dog that has the disorder? Funny story CP.