Locust in the East

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 5, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

efmesch,been hearing on national news about the Locust eating crops in Egypt and may be heading your way:shock:.Seen they were putting nets on their crops,are they using insecticides also? How will Israel deal with this (God forbid) if it happens? It can't be good for the bees. Jack

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sorry Jack---it took me three months to discover your post. :oops:
    Well, they did get here (I even saw a few in my general area) but they were plane-sprayed and seem not to have done any real crop damage. About 2-3 weeks ago there were reports of hoppers hatching in areas that had been visited by the locusts and once again the dep't of agr set out on a spraying regimen. Haven't heard any more in the news about them so I hope the issue is behind us.
    I've been living in Israel since 1966 and this has been the first time that locusts have succeeded in making an invasion of any real concern.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The news built it up to be more than it was:roll:,Israel has to many things to bug them without having a locust problem. I'm getting ready for the japanese beetles, but so far haven't seen any:thumbsup:, but then my blackberry patch is just putting on berries. They'ell wait till they start to ripen before they show there ugly heads.:mad: Jack