lol indeed beekeeping 101!!!!!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by barry42001, May 18, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Checked a hive fairly close to where I live, is Buckfast bees. Well I know that it's starting towards dusk, also a passing shower just passed. I have been around the block a time or two, ensuring the smoker is well lit, generating good smoke, coupled with bee suit, that I know full well will provide you with a few minutes of protection if the girls really come after you. Well, seems the field force was home, I immediately attracted attention, mostly flyby's a few bombers worked quickly, minimumized crushed bees to keep them as calm as possible. By the time I was finished, took about 10 minutes to do a quick look around, bees on all 10 frames, drawing comb, and capped honey. Closed the colony smoking myself to disperse the 30 or 40 bees circling me, a few tried to sting the golve sleeve, a few the base of veil, smoking chased them as I started for the car putting away the smoker, keeping dressed because I knew a few would come in the car with windows down the smoker in the front seat I proceeded home ( about 2 blocks away. ) as suspected a few bees were in the car and a few puff of smoke and they left. I removed my bee suit, gloves, and killed the smoker, put them all away, went into the backseat to fix the car speaker, and heard the muted buzz of a bee, that I can't place where it is, but from the hum was distressed--then I felt the prick in my scalp. I have been stung a few times by honey bees with no ill effects, almost nevers bother me at all, Hornets, yellowjackets they will put you in the hurt locker but a single honey bee has NEVER actually hurt--until this night. happened about 40 minutes ago and absolutely throbs--worst I know I deserve it lol thats what hurts worst of all :razz:
    Barry

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

Never been stung in the scalp, but have imagined it. It's a very tender area. I've had a bee inside a veil a couple of times and was always able to gently remove the veil before she struck :)

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have hurt myself when I have discovered a bee on the inside of my veil!

4. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

When I did my first cut out one of the girls made it into my bonnet . I did not know she was there but my daughter saw her. I walked away from the bees and my daughter squished her with my veil, I got 5 or 6 stings that day but thanks to my little girl none to the face.

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

LOL, I've got 60 year old eyes (meaning anything close is out of focus) and I thought she was trying to get in and I couldn't figure out why she was sticking around even after I walked away from the hives. Then when she bounced off my forehead I realized she was in, not out :lol: She was trying to get away from me as much as I was trying to get away from her.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

well the bees were a bit riled up because 1.) last hour and half was raining and moderately to heavy. 2.) sun was going down, like it was shining anyway lol. now I knew there was atleast the possibiliy of trouble with all those grumpy foragers home, but thought I could slide in and out before they took too much umbrage with my presence-----didn't quite work out that way.
    Barry

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I know the feeling, Barry. I was weed eating around the hives Wed. when 10 to 12 of them asked me to leave. They got right in my face to ask, too. Five minutes later, I could only feel the one on top my head. It hurt full bore for a couple hours.