look what I found

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

:yahoo: tree stump is about 12 foot tall, hole in the pics the main entrance about 6 feet from the ground and the bees have a entrance at the top, we are talking about alot of bees here, the trees hollow almost all the way up, its 5 feet from the house and homeowners says take all the time I need, just wants to see the bees saved and moved :yahoo:

Attached Files:

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

not sure how Im gonna do this yet, Ide love to take the tree home lol but the section I need is just to big, trap-out maybe, but the main entrance you can actually see alot of the comb so maybe a cutout be better, with this many bees I dont think Ill ever find the queen, never seen this many bees in 1 spot its almost scary.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Zookeep:
    Why are you thinking cutout as opposed to trapout? In my mind, unless you are able to get at all the comb, a trapout would be better. Or a combination. Take the first 2 or 3 combs closest to the entrance, put them in frames in your trap box. It wold give the girls "a taste of home" to orient on. Then put up your cone, etc., etc.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

the hole thing is rotting away, I used a stepladder and a hive tool and opened a silver dollar sized hole at the top of the stump (4 feet or so up from the main opening) and the guard bees just came out of it and sat there and looked at me, I could see more comb through the hole looking down. I could push this hole stump over with a little effort.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Zoo:
    Didn't realize it was a dead and rotten tree. Saw green leaves and just assumed. Should have known better. One of my favorite sayings is the one about assuming. :lol:

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

so Iddee you found the queen in the tree and the rest followed? prob is my stumps a little higher off the ground and the odds of finding the queen is close to zero, the cavity there in is about a foot or so round and 4 to 5 feet high and packed to the top with comb and bees, Im gonna try to just open 1 side all the way and have a box right there at the same height of the base of the hive, with enough of there own come I hope the rest will follow but will watch for clumps and hope I find her.

and to guns, sorry didnt have that info on the 1st post, the green leaves are just vines growing on the stump, they all cleared now

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There's no place for her to go, so you should be able to find her easily. Just move slow with the plan you have. Open the trunk with hammer and wedges, after cutting the bottom half way through with a chainsaw if you have one.

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well I have to get another brood box, only have 1 nine left and think this tree will fill it too fast, gonna do it this weekend coming up, the sprayfoam looks funny, the guy that tried to remove them last year used it and didnt put anything in the hivebox at all and couldnt understand why the bees didnt wanna move into the box, they just chewed through the foam and went on with there lives, I used a little smoke when clearing the vines just to look at the comb.

Attached Files:

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, I started at 8:30am and just got home now at 6:30pm, never found the queen (not yet) filled three 5 gallon pales with come honey, 1st 2 I had to drop hard on the ground to squish everything down to get the lids on, this the pic of the 3rd, I filled 8 of 9 deep brood frames with capped and uncapped brood and a few in the 6 inch brood box.

Did not get as many bees as I would have liked into the box but did get some nurse bees,
    this was 1 hard job for 1 person, Ill have to go back in the morning to finish up, theres at least 1 more pale of comb honey and I hope the queen with them settling down over night.

The tree is still full of bees, and have 1 more cut to do at the very top, the brood comb in the tree was on 2 strips running from the bottom entrance to just about the top, 8 to 10 inches wide, it was so easy to take 2 foot pieces of the brood down and just cut it into the frames , I had to run out and get more rubber bands cause I never thought I would get this much brood, just goes to show you, pack way more then you think your gonna need cause ya never know.

And 1 more thing, I will never try anything like this again solo, way too hard for just 1 person.

Hope every1 else had a great saturday
    The Zookeep

Attached Files:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now that's a hive. Congrats. Hope you got, or will get, the lady.

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Finally done, the bees were all the way to the top, I cut the last 2 feet of the tree off the top and brought it down split it and they were just 2 inches of the tree thickness at the top, I ended up building a bee vac this morning and using it cause the bees when I got there were all the way from the bottom to the top just hanging in the half tree, filled a 9 and a 6 brood box.

Attached Files:

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That was a nice job, well done. Now you'll have to follow up with a report on how the family is doing in your hive. ;)

13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Im going to wait a few days and open it up and look for the queen or cells, hope I find 1 or the other, if not Ill pop a brood frame from the buckfast hive and add it

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations and well done!
    "Only he who risks going too far will ever realize how far he can really go"!
    :hi: My hat is off to you!

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome back Perry. You "owe" us a blog report on your project. Is it completed or did you just take a break?

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I opened the new hive up and this is what i found, I guess I missed the queen but was lucky enough to get some brood the right age for queen cells, so they should hatch 16 days from 3 days ago plus or minus 2 days maybe?

Attached Files:

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

We're following along with you :thumbsup:

18. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

today I thought my heart stopped, I pulled the graph board out from under the tree hive and had little white wigglys, only think that came to mind was 2kooldads last cutout and what happened to him days later, so got on the gear and opened her up and everything was clean :yahoo: the 4 queen cups are doing well, saw in 2 of the 4 and they just packed with the white jelly ( heart started up again)

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe it's worth thinking of making a split. After all, if you've got so many bees, stores and 4 queen cells, it might be worth the effort to get the parts for another hive together and take advantage of a good situation.