Look what I found.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Went down to add some medium supers on to the hives this afternoon and look what I saw. I think we have enough for this year. Geez :shock:

How the heck could we have a swarm this big so quick. Everything we have has been captured since about march/April of this year.

Am I doing something wrong or right.

View attachment 4612 2012-06-29_20-21-04_168.jpg 2012-06-29_20-21-04_168.jpg 2012-06-29_20-20-50_438.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Wrong would be if they landed high up in the tree, Right is just about where they landed. :lol: :thumbsup:

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

nope your doing wrong, right would be if they had landed in the tree in my back yard:grin: every1 at some points going to get hives that swarm, it happens.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Just was not expecting any swarms this year. Especially 3 months after catching.

To be honest, after building 6 boxes and putting together 60 frames all day yesterday. This swarm wasn't really what I wanted to see last night. Oh well. I just cant let them fly away.

I put these guys in a nuke with 5 frames with foundation and a quart jar of sugar syrup this morning. Maybe that will keep them busy for today. Have to build a bottom board and a top this afternoon and move them into their deep. Adding the 5 frames this morning, they still ran me off a few times. Hope they settle down some. They're mean:mad:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

1. They may not be from your hives. Swarms will often seek out a different apiary.

2. They may not be a swarm. In this heat, if their hive melted down, they may be an abscond.

6. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Can you ever tell which hive they came from by the numbers. Because I looked in all of mine and they seemed to be full.

BUT,

I just got home and went to check on them and the box was empty, I then found them in another tree about 15 feet up. They were very calm. While I was standing there deciding what to do, they decided for me. They took off from that limb and out into the woods they went. Within about 3 or 4 minutes they were all gone. I walked behind them far a while but once they all got headed the same direction they were gone. What a site to see.

I have never seen that before in my life. It was very cool and amazing.

Maybe they were not from my hives. They were noticeably more defensive any I have delt with. Even the cutouts I have done.

Oh well, back to 6.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

While losing a swarm isn't what we strive for (and this one may not even have been yours) watching one is a pretty cool thing to see. Most don't get the chance. :mrgreen:

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

It was so big I really don't think it was mine.

Question- If they may have come from a ferrell melted hive, could that may have something to do with their attitudes. maybe it wasn't a planned swarm and they didn't have time to prepare. If I hadn't have a had a suit on I would be in sad shape today. Got stung through my suit anyway. They followed me a long way from the box after shaking them in and setting the box down.

Then this morning when I was trying to add the frames, I would slide a frame in and would have to walk way far away. The were flying straight up at my face and would follow me 30 40 feet away.. Added 4 frames and thats all I could do. Anyway, kinda glad they are gone.