Lookin' At A Laptop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverbee, Jul 12, 2012.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i am looking to replace my laptop, it is about 6 years old, i love laptops, don't own a desktop. i like toshibas, they are very nice, and no problems. what do you think? (charles?) i don't game, watch videos, or do anything intensive, just surf, email, store music, photos and videos:

toshiba satellite best buy

toshiba satellite toshiba.com

thanks in advance for thoughts, opinions!
    :grin:

2. Omie

Omie New Member

iPad? MacAir?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I had PC's for 25 years. Last year I bought a Mac. I think the switch will be permanent. I love the mac.

PS. I like desktops. I hate laptops.

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

Toshiba Satellite for the last five years, without any problem. Would buy again.:thumbsup:

5. Charles

Charles New Member

The macbooks are pretty cool for media machines but even though the pricing has come down I think they are still a bit pricey.

We've been an HP family (my wife works there) for the past 10+ years so that's all I've had. HP pumps them full of bloatware but I think everybody does these day's. A quick trip through add / remove programs fixes that. I picked up a dv7 Pavilion earlier this year with an i7 Intel processor, 8g Ram, 700g hd, and windows 7 for about $800

On the Toshibas, I know people that swear by them so I think you'd bee fine getting one of those :)

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks everyone!
    my old laptop is a toshiba satellite, so to marbee's post, i like them. charles, 2 computer geeks in your household, scary thought :lol:

ps iddee~ i do like desktops and i cheat on the laptop and use a wireless mouse:eek:
    what is it you like about the macs?

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have bought a couple of refurbs that have xp because i hate win 7. They're like new, have minimal programs, and are really cheap. It just takes a long time for all the windows updates to run when you first start it up.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Anything but a Dell. My department has issued me those the last three times and they have all been a PITA....

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

When youu get down to the bottom line, just about everything today beats what was available years ago. I bought a Toshiba satellite 2 years ago and it's great. It was just about the cheapest model available then and still had more than adequate specifications. I'm sure that today they're even better. Watch the ads for the sales---especially toward the end of the summer, when the students are buying for the new school year and all the stores are vying for their business. :thumbsup:
    As a beekeeper, you know the importance of patience. :grin:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I got this one.

http://www.apple.com/imac/

Set it on the desk, plug the one wire in, and you're running

No other wires.

The batteries in the wireless keyboard and mouse are rechargeable, so not buying batteries constantly.
    Large screen, easily set up with your preferences, such as screen font, etc. Much faster than any PC I have had before. Can run Apple or PC programs in most instances. Very little spam or popups. Viruses are practically unheard of. Just so easy and comfortable.

11. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I'm with Iddee except I got the laptop. I bought a Macbook Pro 15", http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD103LL/A? similar to one of these. Very pleased with it. I have been able to run almost every PC program I did before except for the virus protection needed on the PC.
    I paid a little more but now I have the best of both worlds. I can still use 99% of my PC programs and 100% of the Apple programs. I don't know anyone who bought / changed to a MAC that would change back to a PC. I'm sure they exist but are few and very far between.
    Good luck.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dave, you couldn't give me a dell......:lol:

ef said: "As a beekeeper, you know the importance of patience." patience? what's that? :shock:
    i think i might have some left, although i think sometimes it is reverse, the bees seem to be more patient with me?!:lol:

iddee, very nice desktop. i have looked at the all in ones and have looked at macs, couple friends that love them too wayne, and say the same they will never switch back. ooh, pricey!

i did buy the toshiba, it does come with windows 7, but can upgrade to windows 8 for a minimal fee, i think it was $15. i have been using vista since it came out, i can't imagine win 7 being any worse of a love to hate than vista. i saved myself about $65 or so in sales tax.....what i did was i ordered it online (best buy), in kalispell, montana, (no sales tax), also applied some gift cards to the purchase, and my son picked it up for me. i will be in montana next week.

thanks for all the replies!

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm sure the Toshiba has a wi-fi connection--hope to hear from you on the forum while you're vacationing.
    Have a great time.

14. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

bamabww said,
    "I don't know anyone who bought / changed to a MAC that would change back to a PC."

I agree and am one that traded in the PC for a Mac and have never looked back. Wifey still has the microsoft laptop that she curses everyday that she logs on.

Jim

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

16. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

After 20 years of PCs, we just replaced the old Gateway with a Macbook Pro.
    Started with my wife getting an iPhone, then talked me into to getting one. Then wifey wanted an iPad. So when the Gateway died, it made sense to get a Mac in order to be compatible with the iPhones and iPad.

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i don't have an iphone, i don't even own a cell phone, er smart phone.....don't laugh:grin:

ef said:
    "I'm sure the Toshiba has a wi-fi connection--hope to hear from you on the forum while you're vacationing. Have a great time."

ef, thanks, i will! the toshiba does have wi-fi......it's just if the wi-fi is available. i don't depend on that, so i carry a wireless air card. i will most likely check in and send some pictures of the 'big sky country'.