Looking at the flowers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Sep 7, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I've noticed since beekeeping when driving I look at the surroundings much more than i ever did. Just the other day driving to my hives I took another county road. When I got a mile away I started looking what was around for my bees. I saw fields of red clover and alfalfa planted Goldenrod, Queens Anns Lace and other blooming weeds in ditches and around woods. Also, found a nursery that had hundreds of potted mums outside for this fall. Nice to know there is food for them. What have you noticed?

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

Me too and wonder "do the bees work that?":thumbsup:

3. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

We drive 14 miles to tend to 3 hives way out in the country-they don't mow the roadsides and the fields have all kinds on wildflowers. I try to look them up and see if they could be a significant nectar source. White clover kept them busy early-it was everywhere-then purple vetch covered the fields and roadside. I noticed ironweed as it got dryer and dryer. I have a PDF of nectar and pollen sources for this area but have yet to see Spanishneedle, plains sage or smartweed. The goldenrod is everywhere and they're really busy bringing that in.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

All I'm seeing right now is snow on the prairie and bitter weed. But it was 104 at 7pm tonight and now is down to 81 with a cold front coming through, so if we get some rain and cooler temps, the goldenrod should come out.

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Japanese knotweed is flowering well locally. Not sure if it is good for pollen, nectar or honey.

Plenty of 'mouldy' bees, so they are working the Himalayan Balsam.

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have noticed that I need to make clayballs with a bit of compost and wildflower seeds to get anything to grow around here, and toss them out just before our fall rains start. Because except for my yard and some ragweed, there is nothing around me but roads, grass, grassy weeds, hackberry and cottonwood trees. There is a home depot about 1.5 miles away as the bees fly, I saw a bee working the flowers in the garden center the last time I was over there, She was probably mine.

Although elm is apparently in bloom now, but as a flower goes, it is pathetic.

7. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I run about 4 days a week and I am always noticing what's blooming and thinking about our bees. If anything having bees has opened my eyes up in a new way. I love it!

8. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Love the awareness of the earth and balance in general that has come from our keeping honey bees. Remarked, yesterday, on a drive with Steve, about the goldenrod blooming. He nonchalantly replied. Yes, I noticed that, and they are working hard this week...Big thing for a city boy!
    Waiting for our hedges of purple asters to bloom... soon!
    303908_287056104646996_100000278273551_1089601_1038787984_n.jpg

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

LOL We ask the very same thing! :D