looking at what is the best I can do for prepping for winter

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by reidi_tim, Aug 27, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Thanks to the stupid weather this year I'm not sure what is the right way to handle the hives for over wintering.

Hive one and two where stared from nucs Italians , with the early spring they quickly filled two ten frame deeps so I put the shallows on them which they quickly went to filling with honey. Along came mr. derth and the bees shut down, nothing for them too feed on so no new brood. Some rain has come and the pastures are looking green again instead brown. During the derth the bees consumed the stores in the deeps and left the honey in the shallows alone. They have started filling the deeps up with honey and pollen and the shallows are still on with eight or nine frames of honey. I was thinking on these two to wait until the weather starts to change on moving shallow frames to the deep and undecided on candy boards.

The cut out hive mutts, it is a solid twenty frames of honey,pollen and brood, it had went queenless for a period of time before the derth so they where making honey. It was not that effected by the derth other then the queen stopped laying, since then she has started laying again. Thinking a candy board as a insurance for the winter.

Nuc one is a full five frames and still feeding 1:1 Russians . Thoughts are to keep feeding and use a candy board as insurance.

Nuc two is the weakest, moved a frame from the cut out hive of brood and honey on the outer edges this weekend. Thinking if I can get the number of bees up and some good reserves on the outer frames try to make it thru winter with candy board and pollen patties. They are being feed right now 1:1. If the numbers do not improve before the flow stops I will combine them with another hive.
    Any thoughts before I get my next t-shirt on what else I did wrong as a first year bee keeper?
    Thanks in advance:wink:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would de-queen the second nuc and set it on top the first. Let them go through the winter as a double five framer. All the rest, sounds like you are on track.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

definitely what Iddee said...

and a snip..
    Any thoughts before I get my next t-shirt on what else I did wrong as a first year bee keeper?

tecumseh:
    sounds like given the circumstance you are doing quite well. some years you will be tested by fire and brimstone and it seem like up to now you have passed the test with stellar marks. also it seem to me like any 'good beekeeper' you are thinking somewhat down the road and not simply reacting to each and every event mother nature (or god or both) are sending your way.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Tim,
    Take those words from Tec as a big pat on the back. :grin:
    You've earned them. :thumbsup:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

tim,
    what ef said (tec's post) and iddee's advice about the nuc :grin:

6. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

thanks tec,:bow: I have found that a lot of failures were the lack of a proactive plan, and others well they were never meant to be....
    Robert Burns
    But Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promised joy.
    Did I read somewhere to put the culled queen in a small amount of alcohol to use for swarm traps? And I looked and could not find it again but how many sheets of newspaper are used to combine the two nucs?

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well it was a pat on the back and for lack of a better phrase.. atta boy for a job well done.

and a snip..
    I have found that a lot of failures were the lack of a proactive plan, and others well they were never meant to be....

tecumseh:
    and even a little practice teaches each and everyone of us to plan a bit better and do a bit better the next time.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

One sheet that coverss the whole surface of the lower family's upper box. Make a few slits in the paper after it's spread out. That makes sure that the bees realize there is something on the other side and makes it easier for them to start chewing away at the paper.