Looking for a "Bee Book" for a 5 year old...

Discussion in 'Everything Kids' started by Joe, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

My girls were grown before I got into bees, but my neighbors have a little girl, and they would love to have some bees in their yard.

A non-beek friend of mine was telling me about reading "The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive" to his grand-kids. Would that be a nice little gift for a 5 year old? Or can you suggest another "bee book" for a little kid?

2. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

3. phillybees

phillybees New Member

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i liked the book by kit williams on bees. It was the no name bee book. You had to read it to get the clues as to the actual name of the book. heres a link to the book

http://bunnyears.net/kitwilliams/bee.html

5. phillybees

phillybees New Member

My new favorite is Clan Apis by Jay Hosler -

http://www.jayhosler.com/clanapis.html

It is a graphic novel that tells the story of the workings of the hive through some really funny characters (bees and flowers and spiders and beetles etc). I have been reading it to my 4 year old and editing and simplifying some of the more complex passages as we read. She absolutely loves it and laughs out loud as we read. We are on our second reading.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Don't be afraid to consider books above the age of the child! Children can learn amazing things. My nephew used to confound his kindergarten teachers, because he would identify the picture of a "boat" as a "canoe" or "kayak", as appropriate! My sister and her husband are avid river-runners, and he knew the names.

When I was that age, I will never forget when I got a question wrong on a test, because I called the picture a "robin" when it was supposed to be a "bird." 40 years later, it still bugs me!

7. phillybees

phillybees New Member

Yeah I totally agree. Clan Apis is WAY above the age of a 4 year old but my daughter understands so much of it. She could teach a class on bees at this point!