Looking for a pure buckfast laying queen

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by beecrazy101, Jun 23, 2012.

1. beecrazy101

beecrazy101 New Member

I just received two NWC queens that are doing well already. I bought two five frame nucs and withing two weeks I did a split and that split is in it new eight frame deep doing extremely well. I am going foundationless, chemical free, but have no reservations to help naturally when I can. I feed bee tea and add a drop of essential oil thyme and eucalyptus for extra taste and I have read it helps with nosema and disintery. Bees love it. But now I am looking for some buckfast queens. They seem to bee hard to find pure within the US and I would like to have a couple in about a month. IF I can't get ahold of a couple in a month I can wait till next year. I have two hives that are two deeps full and doing well. I use them for the splits. I do weak splits but so far it is doing very well. I am very involved in keeping in tune with them. If anyone has a good lead on some good pure buckfast, please let me know. I am loving the bees like they are my own children. So why not have more. Cost a little less, and take care of themselves.:lol:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Try Ferguson Apiaries here in Canada (Ontario)

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I will be getting 4 buckfast queens from Bill and Sherri Ferguson, order is in for mid august. If you want thier phone# private message me. Their website: http://www.fergusonapiaries.on.ca/
    Barry

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Weaver in Texas and Miksa in Florida have Buckfast. Miksa also has Belgian Buckfast. I am not sure the Miksa's want me to share more information, but it will save you the import fee from Canada. Weaver's are from frozen sperm. Miksa's are not.

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

In summer 2011 started 10 nucs and ordered 10 queens from Bill Ferguson.
    They built nicely and 9 of 10 survived the winter. No treatment!
    Right now they are finishing first deep of honey. Low swarming bees.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Adam Foster Collins and I are getting 10 queens (5 each) from Ferguson's in July.
    Adam did a lot of legwork (permits, etc.) to get them allowed. :thumbsup:

7. beecrazy101

beecrazy101 New Member

yes I have been reading the rules and regulations on just crossing the boarder with queens. Inspections ten days before shipment and then inspections when they enter the states. I am going to fill out all the permits and pay all the fees because I want a number of apiaries to be able to order from. I want to order from the states and across the pond. Im not sure about ordering from Australia though read to much bad things about the diseases they are encountering. New Zealand may be in my next years future, but their breeder queens are a little much. Have to save some to get some of those. 600 plus shipping.:shock:

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

I am always glad to see beekeepers working together
    :thumbsup:

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Beecrazy101, the 4 queens I am getting are $35 a queen, plus shipping plus $40 for exaimination and certification " by USDA prior to entry to USA. In actuallity not signiantly more expensive then when bought anywhere else. To get and develope the strain I want costs money, but I can with a degree of certianty that I am getting what I am paying for, something that can not be as certian anywhere else. Most bee breeders practice open mating, and drone saturation, to improve the odds that they will get the disired results. The degree of uncertianty is drone congragation areas are areas where drone from all over come and hopefully get lucky ( or unlucky depending on how one wants to view it )I don't know the percentages of mismatings that take place, am certian no one really has taken the time or effort to find out, and from a commercial operations perspective, if maybe your getting 65 to 75% " true " matings then your happy as the breeder. Unless your the guy buying this queen that happened to breed with 4 AHB and 6 drones from the stock your looking for. in a year or so when she runs out of AHB sperm, and starts laying eggs that are more to your liking, you may well have already requeened to try to eliminate the mean tempered bees, so the $20 dollar queen, cost you another $20 dollars when you add the shipping and handling your paying about what I will have, the difference being I can say with high degree of confidence that I am infact getting what I am paying for, whereas your new $20 dollar queen will be a product of the same enviroment that generated the last queen. Not everybody is rolling in cash, and I am NO exception but there is a degree of truth to the saying that you get what you pay for. Shop at K-mart for specials, thats what you'll get, blue light special that will be replaced in another 6 -8 monthes difference being you can't return it back for replacement.
    Barry

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Correction--I stated I was paying 35 dollars for the buckfast queen, it's 30 dollars.
    Barry

11. beecrazy101

beecrazy101 New Member

checked into them. I am going to be getting two of them next spring. I have lots on my plate with clearing my land and getting ready for planting. I have five hives and going to do three more splits before the end of the summer. I am planting bee friendly plants in my two acre garden I am making. I have to do as I go. Like u said some of us arent made of money. And I sure am not one either.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a barry snip..
    but I can with a degree of certianty that I am getting what I am paying for, something that can not be as certian anywhere else.

tecumseh replies:
    all men to that one brother.

and a very nice post I might add.