Looking for Beekeepers in Orlando Area

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by RachelHaygoodNC, Jan 15, 2012.

1. RachelHaygoodNC

RachelHaygoodNC New Member

Hi!

If there are any organic beekeepers in the area that are interested in selling their bee productions such as royal jelly please feel free to let me know.

I would be greatly interested in looking at your setup and perhaps becoming a regular customer for personal use until I get my own bees up and running.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum there are quite a few active here on the forum from Florida. Im sure one will chime in soon.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello and Welcome to the forum as well.
    I read your blog :thumbsup:
    If you get a chance, introduce yourself in the "Introductions" thread, more people will notice it.
    Like the Rat says, there are quite a few members from Florida here. This is a friendly place with some very good information to be had.
    Answers aren't long in coming when questions are asked.
    :hi:

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Hello Rachel,
    and welcome to the forum. Yes there are a few, well more then a few beekeepers from Florida, myself included. Myself, I am geared for honey production, and am looking to start pollen collection this year( there is ALWAYS something blooming down here ). As for royal jelly production, while I am familiar with the concepts of producing it, it is if I am remembering the process, is quite labor intensive and while sells at a good price, is made in relatively minute amounts.
    Barry

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

she likely would need to contact rast and the mitska (who I know use royal jelley to prime cells for queen cell production). I am not certain if they raise the royal jelley themselves.

6. rast

rast New Member

Sorry, don't raise my own RJ and Miksa orders his. Got mine from him. Organic was also a key word in the post.

7. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I agree with the organic being a key word. You can correct me if Im wrong. I have been told the only one who produces certified organic honey in the united states. And Im not sure she still does after her husband passed away is Dee Lusby. You have to be in a very remote area to get certified organic honey and she is one of the few. I have been told that some of the place up north where commercial bee keepers place hives would qualify because of being remote, however, they are interested in selling there honey at wholesale so it is of no benefit to get the certification. Has anyone heard any of this or am I neck deep in the water about to step off a ledge :D

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rast writes:
    Has anyone heard any of this or am I neck deep in the water about to step off a ledge

tecumseh:
    there is a list of things one must do to be certified as organic. mostly the limitation is not restricted to location but of a certain way of tending your bees. I can't recall the link now but when I looked at the list some years back it was obviously made by a bee-haver and not a bee keeper.

and yes rast I did catch the 'organic' stipulation. I suspect most of the RJ sold here in the usa is from china which is quite likely very much NOT organic. when I saw the pictures of the large RJ container in the ABJ article concerning the Mitska I really wondered about the source of their supply. they obviously are much braver bee keeper than myself.

ps to Rachael... there use to be (long ago I lived in central florida myself) a lot of commercial type bee keepers over in the Winter Haven area. I also know (a bit more current information) there is a good number of bee keepers down around Zolfo Springs. almost all of these raise queens so there is some small chance that some of these may raise a bit of RJ for these operations. if it was me I would contact the Florida Dadant store 877 832 3268 (High Springs) and see if they know of anyone in your area that provides RJ.

10. Americasbeekeeper

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for the link... 'difficult' must be somewhat in the eyes of the beholder?

12. Americasbeekeeper

If you click on Farms & Apiaries, you will see there are 13 certified just in the state of Florida. If you keep healthy bees naturally it is not only easier but less expensive without chemicals or chasing pollination contracts.

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Just my take,
    All hive products are by design organic, unless your referencing the pesticides and air pollution in the enviroment--in which case no one can truely claim to be truely organic, as unfortunately that is the world we live in--but I truely believe that your bees make organic honey unless your supplementing them with HFCS or sugar syrup and they store that, and you wind up unknowingly harvesting that. Chemicial free is what the bees would collect left to thier own devices, I would venture to say that few places in the world can turely state they produce organic anything, considering the bees flight radius .
    Barry

14. RachelHaygoodNC

I don't think I know how to navigate that Osceola site because I went there before posting and could not find their beekeepers list...anyways, I'm sure I'll figure it out-thank you.

15. RachelHaygoodNC

Tecumseh-that's helpful. Winter Haven is out in the middle on nowhere-seems a normal place to have bees. I am not actually just interested in jelly only but all bee products. It's exiting to try different honeys. A local beekeeper seems to like a treasure waiting to be found.

16. RachelHaygoodNC

Perry-I am pretty sure this is the best bee forum out there. It's cool to know that when I start with my bees I won't be alone. :)