looking for bee's

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by farmall 140, May 9, 2012.

1. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

My wife and I are just getting into beekeeping and after reading everything I can get my hands on and researching on the internet. We found whatsounds like a great deal on 2 brand new hives each has screen bottom boards,weather resistant bottom boards,2 deeps with 10 frames and plastic foundations,2 supers with 10 frames and plastic foundations,inner cover,and telescopic metal covered top covers,painted for $125 each. Now the problem is no bee's. We realized today that we needed to order our packages back in january. So no bee's! Does anyone know of anybody in Michigan or Northwestern Ohio who might have 1 or 2 deep nucs available for sale that we could pickup this weekend we really want to get our hives started this weekend. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Try sending a PM to Tecumseh. He might be ale to help you. :wink:

3. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Not sure if they can help but the closest bee club I've found is at Seven Ponds Nature Center in Dryden, Mi.

Their website is http://www.sevenpondsbeekeepers.org/

They have meetings every 4th Tuesday of the month...I'm gonna try and make it this month and join the club.

Also I found this with some contacts that might help...

http://www.michiganbeekeepers.com/packages

One other option possibly...a road I drive down coming home from work I always see an old hive that definately isn't being worked by anyone. I'll try and stop by and see if the house owner cares if I see if there's bees in it and if so if they mind if I take it off their hands. If there is and you don't need it then I guess ill have to order another hive....

Just found this too...looks like there's some available too!
    http://www.sembabees.org/toplevelpages/bargain.html

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got an excellent deal on the hives. The frames and foundations can be expensive alone. The only place I have heard of in Ohio is Waldo's Bees but their site is not coming up. I will keep looking for ya...good luck....also, be sure to leave your name with the local police/sheriff dispatch for swarm calls. I had never caught a swarm until three weeks ago. It's not that hard. I have caught three swarms since then. I am excited to have saved over $300 doing this! They bees are doing great...in fact twice as good as my packaged hives...Dave

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

^^^This. Feral swarms are the way to go.

6. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

Thanks for the help. We are still looking for bee's called and left messages with a few places that advertise nucs for sale but no call backs yet. As for recovering ferel swarms would love to do that but my job carries me out of state for extended periods of time so I cant be there to go get them in a timely manner but I will still get with the police and sherriff anyway for when I am available.

7. pturley

pturley New Member

This a bit of a distance away but may be well worth the look.

http://saginawbees.org/

If you ask around at your local Beekeepers Association meetings you'll likely find someone willing to share, sell or connect you with some bees... (The site also includes links to other area associations, perhaps you'll find one closer still).

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

You are absolutely right farmall about being available when that call happens. I was lucky to be off work. I wish you were close to me because I would give you my next swarms. I am making nuc boxes just for swarms and hope to give them to guys I am trying to encourage into keeping.

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

Try local firstly, but all the suppliers down here still have packages and can post to you.

Brushy are picking up bees in Ga tomorrow, Triad Bee Supply have pkgs now, and I know Larry Tate from Tate's also still has bees.

Just need to find who around you can help.

10. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

Thanks blueblood for the offer and everybody else for the help. Managed to locate some one on craigs list outside of chicago that has nucs available and I will be picking up 2 5 frame deep nucs tomorrow on my way home. Thanks again for all the help. Cant wait to get my girls feel like a 10yr old at christmas waiting to open up my red ryder lever action 200 shot air rifle with the compass in the stock!

11. Marbees

Marbees Member

Glad you found bees, and that's great deal on equipment.:thumbsup: Happy beekeeping

12. Zulu

Zulu Member

Glad it is working out,

We will need pics of course:thumbsup:

13. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

14. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Welcome and good luck. Glad your wife is interested also. That will be a lot of help and enjoyment for both of you.

15. pturley

pturley New Member

You'll shoot your eye out kid.

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Super! Glad you could find some bees. Ahhhh, Christmas Story...one of my favorite flicks...

17. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

Update. Picked up 2 nucs of very active ladies last nite at 8:30 from a really helpful and nice beekeeper Herbert in Lemont Il. After everything that could go wrong and did trying to get there to get our new family did he let me pick them up alot later than expected. Now cant wait to get them home. Pictures to follow when I get a chance.

18. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Cool and today is a beautiful day for putting them in their new home!

Now if I could just call these 3 Tom Turkeys across the road...

19. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

Yes sir it was beautiful today but we didn't get home until after 5 and the girls new manufactured homes haven't arrived yet they will be here tomorrow evening so I'm thinking sunday morning for move in time. But I did go out and set the nucs where the hives will be located and removed the screens over the entrances so the girls could get some orientation time in. Wow was that an experience! I took some pics but cant figure out how to get them from my DROID phone onto the thread.:beg:

20. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Hit "go advanced" and you should be able to upload an attachment and hit browse and find them on your Droid. You could always email them and save them on your home computer too if you know how to post them from your computer...