looking for honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, May 1, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

After things being so dry for so long and hearing how some beeks just north of me have been feeding there hives to keep them up I wanted to open up a few of my triples and see if they are eating there stores, I have noticed a reduction in the pollen coming in as the flowers have dried up and I found a haul, bees been working hard and Im not sure where they are getting it but the hives in my back yard are packed,these are pics of 2 of the hives, 1 with a excluder an 1 without, I ordered more boxes frames and foundation today cause I need to add boxes to atleast 2 of the triples as soon as I can, now the hives at my out yard are going alot slower, now all the neighborhoods around me have watering systems so Im thinking its all the ornamentals that the bees are working where as there county cousins are not as lucky to have, but with the arrival of some much needed rain I hope the out yard picks up now.

Attached Files:

2. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Nice pictures. We're in a dry spell also. Hasn't rained here in over 3 weeks and it's beginning to get dry.

3. tommyt

tommyt New Member

Do you have a lot of Palmetto in the area

Nice looking frames wish I had a few

Tommyt

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Nice, well capped frames of honey. Notice how, when the honey is capped, less bees hang onto them. Removing capped honey from hives is much easier than removing ripe, uncapped honey. The downbeat aspect of it is that then you have to uncap the honey (unless you extract using the "crush and strain" method).

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Beautiful solid frames there!

One thing I'm curious about, ....since you mention that you don't know where the bees are getting their nectar, and you mention it's been dry and all the neighbors watering their ornamental plants in their yards (you are in a residential neighborhood, right?)....
    Anyway- is there a distinct pink tint to this honey on your frames, or is it just the camera color setting I am seeing? Because if the honey is actually pink, there's a chance that your bees are bringing in a lot of sugar syrup from hummingbird feeders in your neighborhood, which of course we hope is not the case. Unless there are trees or flowers which yield pink nectar in your area?