Looking for information on Beating down or drumming down a swarm?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by powwowman, May 28, 2014.

1. powwowman

powwowman New Member

I just heard someone mention the other day that when bees swarm you can beat a drum or metal pan and draw a cluster of swarming bees to keep them from the tree tops. This sound interesting to me. Anyone ever done this? And if it is so, how is it done? Thanks in advance.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It is the concussion sound that is the same as what is given of with thunder. The bees don't fly in the rain and the associate rain with thunder. Metal garbage can lid, car hood, metal garage door, kids wagon, tractor, metal shed, bang on what ever is convenient. Banging will not nessecarily bring the bees down closer to the ground but it will cause them to find a place to congregate sooner. Instead of flying off and you losing sight of them.
    Had a hive in the process of swarming out last week and my cousin shot of a banger, one used to scare starlings away from the cherry trees. It caused all the bees to return to the hive and they were all bac inside the hive in less than 5 minutes. only the queen and a tea cup size ball of bees landed in the grass 10ft from the hive.
    A water hose sprayed in the cluster will bring the bees to the ground also.

3. powwowman

powwowman New Member

Thanks for the explanation ApisBees, I'll have to try that next time. Blessings

4. 1of6

1of6 New Member

Look up tanging - this is not the only definition, but they talk about it a bit. Also look up recent research on it - I believe that it's been discounted (myth busted) under formal testing.

http://digital.nls.uk/moir/tanging.html

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Tanging was originated to allow beekeepers to cross property without being charge with trespassing. I believe early ABC XYZ discussed the origin. Drumming has been quite effective in my experience. It did not draw them from the tree or structure but once shaken in front of the hive I have never lost a swarm.

6. powwowman

powwowman New Member

thanks

Thanks Americasbeekeeper , The man I talked to said he has had success 12 out of 14 times. I am keeping an eye on them and will try this next time.