Looking for varroa mites on drone pupae....

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Omie, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Omie

Omie Active Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

:goodpost:

Don't let drone larvae go to waste. They are yummy! And leave an aftertaste of a hint of chestnuts. :thumbsup:

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Got chickens? I bet they would take care of them for you.

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

You said you examined 30 drone pupae. What did you do w/ the rest?

One varroa out of 30 drone pupae is encouraging, but I wonder why tere weren't more? I would have thought that one varroa under a drone pupae cap would have reproduced by then. Maybe not, it just seems strange. Not that I doubt your findings, I just wonder about what it means.

Also, if you had examined the thousands of other pupe, what would you have found?

Next time, instead of freezing them, remove the frames and cut the cappings off w/ a long knife, then knock all of the pupae out of their cells onto a table or top cover or sheet of plywood. Then examine and see what you get.

Are you planning on any nonchem treatments other than drone trapping?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

excellent informative post.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yes... anything that interrupts the brood cycle helps.

I like to knock down drone cells in the early spring. It gives me some idea of varroa levels in individual hives and I thinks interrupts the vorroa cycle somewhat. any hive that seems to have a high incident of varroa early on gets split pretty much from the bottom board upwards.

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

They don't squirm. Especially w/ their heads cut off. I doubt that they would die after a few hours in your house. Unless you keep it really cold.

We should expect mite levels to be low at this time in the year. The peak of the varroa population comes about 4 to 6 weeks or more after the peak of the bee population. So, you shoul;d see the peak mite pop. some time in August or September, I believe.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Drone larva makes great fishing bait as long as you don't freeze it. If you freeze it, then it will just fall apart when you try to use it.