Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
You said you examined 30 drone pupae. What did you do w/ the rest?

One varroa out of 30 drone pupae is encouraging, but I wonder why tere weren't more? I would have thought that one varroa under a drone pupae cap would have reproduced by then. Maybe not, it just seems strange. Not that I doubt your findings, I just wonder about what it means.

Also, if you had examined the thousands of other pupe, what would you have found?

Next time, instead of freezing them, remove the frames and cut the cappings off w/ a long knife, then knock all of the pupae out of their cells onto a table or top cover or sheet of plywood. Then examine and see what you get.

Are you planning on any nonchem treatments other than drone trapping?

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
yes... anything that interrupts the brood cycle helps.

I like to knock down drone cells in the early spring. It gives me some idea of varroa levels in individual hives and I thinks interrupts the vorroa cycle somewhat. any hive that seems to have a high incident of varroa early on gets split pretty much from the bottom board upwards.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Omie said:
sqkcrk said:
"I left them in the frames, put them back in the hives, and the bees are now cleaning them out ."

I guess since that one varroa wasn't moving around that perhaps the rest of them are dead too. 24 hrs doesn't seem like enuf time to garauntee kill. But it might be.

Also, if you had examined the thousands of other pupe, what would you have found?
More varroa, I suppose! ;)

Mark's reply: Right, more varroa, but we don't know if there woul;d be a higher proportion or not.

I confess that the thought of doing this while the larvae were alive and squirming put me off from this idea. Any suggestions? Will the larvae die if I just let the frames sit first for a few hours in my house without being kept warm by the nurse bees? If the larvae were already dead i could handle this. :oops:
They don't squirm. Especially w/ their heads cut off. I doubt that they would die after a few hours in your house. Unless you keep it really cold.

We should expect mite levels to be low at this time in the year. The peak of the varroa population comes about 4 to 6 weeks or more after the peak of the bee population. So, you shoul;d see the peak mite pop. some time in August or September, I believe.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Drone larva makes great fishing bait as long as you don't freeze it. If you freeze it, then it will just fall apart when you try to use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts