lost 3 hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

guess it happens sometimes, lost 1 hive to robbing then lost 2 more past few days, but the worst seems to be over now cause I dont know what or where from but the girls are busy again bringing in the goods, I have 5 nucs almost ready for full size hives so will replace fast still a shame though.

Attached Files:

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

I've only lost one, but it is upsetting when you try to save them and it doesn't work. Just part of beekeeping I guess. Glad you have some goods for them to bring in :smile: Not much of nothing here now till Spring.

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

Are you actually seeing lots of pollen being brought in now?

What did you lose the other two hives from?

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Don't take Omie's uestion lightly--it's important to know the cause, so as to reduce the liklihood that other hives will follow their path to oblivion.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

don't feel alone zookeep I 'kicked the bottoms' from 3 hives in one yard the day before yesterday. I get up to this yard very infrequently and at least one of the hives had been dead for quite some time and the others at least had comb that can be reused.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It happens, and while no one likes to lose a hive, the one bright spot (if you can call it that) is that is usually frees up some desperately needed gear, like tecumseh has suggested.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

my problem was massive robbing, I think I had some migratory hives show up about a half mile away and they are the 1s that attacked my hives, the pollen they are bringing in now is like a cream white, we have a 60% chance of rain the middle of the week, if we get it then some other things will start to bloom.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would guess Zookeep from what I have seen here that your thinking as to cause is exactly correct. My good beekeeping neighbors to the south use to bring in good numbers of well populated hives in the fall of the year and the robbing of the small hives would get so extreme you would have to have been deaf, dumb and blind not to have noticed what was going on. it was repeated occasion like this that encouraged me to build robbing guards on almost everything small in size.

9. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Bill, I had the same problem with robbing last year around this time,and Iddee suggested using robbing screens,which pretty much cured the problem.

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

This seems a trend for losing hives late in the season. Different reasons for the losses, but none the less lost hives in any event--and whats with the absconding nonsense, lol lost 1 or two hive to that. Was in late August when it happened..
    Barry

11. camero7

camero7 Member

IMO most "absconding" is due to high mite loads and the bees are trying to escape them.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

'absconding' can be for multiple reason including starvation and very much as Camero7 suggest varroa load. last year when we had a very serious long term dry spell here hives simply ran out of stores and absconded. in most of these there wasn't even any pollen left in the hive and it typically happened fairly early in the fall. we then received multiple reports from other folks around who had hives that seemed to do the same thing <a bit of feeding and pollen patties during that time of the year when I typically don't do either seemed to have limited this problem for me. this year was a bit more plush and the latter part of year hive brought in a bit more nectar and the the hives that absconded did so much later in the season... for these I would highly suspect varroa as a major cause. in all of these (and all 3 reported above were about 4 year old hives) the stores had been robbed out (as evidenced by a great deal of cappings on the bottom board) but there was still a good deal of pollen in the hive.