Lost Swarm But Recovered By Cutting Out Mother Hive

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, May 20, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have been waiting for the homeowner's teen son to send the pics to me from a cut-out on the back of a barn a last Wednesday. I received them today. Still waiting on an edited video. I landed this opportunity through a CL listing. The homeowner called for a swarm in an apple tree but it left before I could get to it. The homeowner showed me the barn where she thought the swarm came from. I agreed. She said I could tear the material down under the combs because she needed to replace it anyway. It was getting dark and I had to juggle a flashlight, hive tool, smoker and vac hose all the while I banded comb in the frames. It was big sticky mess all around. I banded 10 combs and 6 queen cells. I never saw a queen which I pretty much expected since I believed they just swarmed. I took a hit on my right wrist through the glove vent. I have ordered new Meyer gloves from Mann lake to correct this. Plus, my old gloves stand up on their own now. I have absolutely wore out the old goat skins gloves which only took a year to do! I discovered what several others have said about getting stings on the hands especially on a joint. (wow, I just fell asleep with my hands on the keyboard just now), okay, on to pics. :wink:
    DSC00929.jpg DSC00979.jpg DSC00982.jpg DSC00983.jpg DSC00962.jpg DSC00964.jpg DSC00965.jpg DSC00967.jpg DSC00968.jpg DSC00969.jpg

2. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

great pictures. Thanks for always sharing your bee adventure photos.

Seems like I remember you mentioning the suit you have on in another thread. To save me the trouble of looking it up, what kind is it? Still like it? Thanks.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Wayne! Sometimes I wonder if it bothers folks to see the bee adventures. Anyway, it is an Ultra Breeze http://www.ultrabreezesuits.com/ . I love it! Very cool to work in. I can wear shorts and t-shirt under it. Not one sting through it yet. And, I have been in some hairy bee situations too. I just ordered some Meyer gloves from Mann Lake also. They are reportedly sting proof. No vents either. That was a weakness in my last pair. The vent did nothing for me anyway.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Sometimes I wonder if it bothers folks to see the bee adventures."

........:lol:
    i love your bee adventures dave!
    you should just start a thread in one place......dave's bee adventures!

5. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

X2 would sure be one to look forward to ... Tom

6. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Nice pics. I'm going to have to look into that suit I sweat like a you know what in the summers.

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

You won't regret it. Ask Perry. When you put it on the first time, the word, "ultra breeze," comes to mind immediately. It's a heavier suit thought surprisingly. Little pricey though, $269.00.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

don't like your bee adventures......ppppppfffffftttttttt!!!!!

Why would you even think that!?!? Of course we love your bee adventures!

Looks like you did a good job on the cut out and glad to hear you stuck it out to the end!

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks George! Alright, I will keep them coming. It was hard to do by myself. Very messy. I need to take a friend next time.

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

g3-
    "don't like your bee adventures......ppppppfffffftttttttt!!!!! "

......:lol: good one g3!
    squirrel, errr dave......:lol:.......seriously, you really ought to consider starting your own 'swarm patrol' thread, it would be fun and very cool! (then we don't have to go looking all over the forum 'chasing the squirrel' around, even though we would :grin:) we would all enjoy it! you have great photos and videos and descriptions of what you are doing. you have a lot of great stuff to share. just a thought for you, something else to keep you busy and the rest of us learning with all you are doing, and additional posts....oh yeah, not to mention the funny stuff along the way.....:grin:

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Becky! Ha!:grin: