Lots O Bees!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Mar 20, 2011.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Well today after church, I was able to get my husband in the bee yard with me to reverse my hives. Got all of them done, and saw LOTS O BEES! :Dancing: We just pulled up a frame or two to look for capped brood and it was there. I didn't bother to look for the queen, that was enough proof for me, but I did see her on one frame we pulled up and she was a beauty!
    I do know which ones I need to split now, and I think next month would be a good time?? I don't think I will be going out there for a day or two because I have one hive that is still mad. I just walked out there to see how the bees have "calmed" down...they all seemed ok, but this one still sent a few out to let me know to stay away. I think they hate me now. I can't believe how those hives have built up and how much brood they had. How would I know if I accidentally killed a queen? I am always afraid I will do that, that's why I just stay out of the brood nest unless I have to get in there for something. I use to think I had to get in the brood nest every week...not anymore!
    I looked at my journal and just so happens that it was March 22 when I reversed last year. It was middle of April when I split, and it was the middle of May when they swarmed anyway!

2. rast

rast New Member

Great Arkie!

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Wow, that's great news!

What makes you think you might kill the queen? Are you doing something that might kill her? =8-o

I plan to split my hive once I see about maybe 6 good solid frames with brood, and drones flying. No sense splitting with no drones around. I'm excited, it will be my first split! Yikes, hope I can find the queen for that. lol
    I'm hearing people are experiencing an early Spring buildup, like maybe 10 days ahead of last year...?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

In 35 plus years, I have only killed one queen accidentally, as far as I know.Just remove an outside frame first, then move each one to the side a bit before lifting. The danger of harming a queen is infinitesimal.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Infinitesimal :confused: show off :mrgreen: . Omie, how do you plan to split if you don't mind my asking. I make alot of splits without finding the queen. Jack

6. Omie

Omie New Member

:lol:

Well I actually want to take the old queen and make a new small hive with her, leaving the bulk of the brood and bees in the old hive to start some queen cells that I'll hopefully make some nucs with. Thus, I'm not going to split evenly in half. If I want to do it this way, i'll have to find the queen.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Arkie writes:
    I am always afraid I will do that, that's why I just stay out of the brood nest unless I have to get in there for something. I use to think I had to get in the brood nest every week...not anymore!

tecumseh:
    staying out of the brood nest has many rewards. for one thing any peeking into the hive where you need not disrupt the brood nest significantly decreases their defensive nature. your message here should be read and read and read again by every novice bee keeper with a new veil and smoker.

another means (the first and best that I became aware of) to limit the risk of injuring a queen is to reduce the 10 frames in that little white box to 9.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad to hear your bees made it Arkie. I agree with you tec, leave the brood nest alone, new beeks will love their bees to death if not careful.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Jack, that word was a tease to Arkiebee, the English teacher. She teased us a tad on another thread, so I sent her one back. :lol: :lol:

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Iddee, i figured, but you got me too. :lol: .Omie ,that's a good plan, i was thinking you had bought queens and was going to introduce them into nuc's. You know what they say about people who assume. :lol: :lol: Jack

11. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

"infinitesimal" - adj: too small to be measurable - Webster's Dictionary! ;)

Thanks Iddee - I needed that assurance. When we reversed this one hive it was a hive body & 2 medium supers. The hive body is now on bottom (lots of brood there) medium super with brood on top of that, then the pretty much empty super on top of that, so they can move up. I am just always so afraid when I get into a brood nest. All but two of the hives we got into took it pretty good - not too upset, but the last one...and it was a huge hive...got really MAD! I checked on them this morning before I came to school, and they seemed pretty calm out in front of the hive...of course it was just coming on daylight too!

Tech - I like the idea of 9 frames per 10 frame hive body, that makes so much sense- is that something I can do now? Or is it too late? Most of my frames in the hive body are drawn out to the 10th frame. Maybe just do 9 frames in any I split from now on?

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I guess if there is a rule there Arkiebee it is you draw out foundation with 10 frames in the box. Once the foundation is drawn to comb you can then reduce to 9 frames... ie just pull one frame and space the remaining 9 frames evenly across the box. My skinny fingers allow me to get pretty even spacing by simply gripping the top bar.

13. zangtangyII

zangtangyII New Member

How do you find the queen? I have trouble trackin her down?