Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m at the end of my second year so I’m still trying to learn. I’m in SW MS
I haven’t been in this hive for a while due to medical conditions. Today I removed the supers to find lots and I do mean lots of dead bees on the queen excluder. It was completely covered at least a 1/2 “ deep. I don’t see how any got out or in the supers. Any ideas on what may have killed all these bees? There are lots of others and all seem healthy and normal.

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
MS - Mississippi or Missouri? Temperature? I don't use queen excluders, I call them honey excluders. I never fully rob my bees anyway, so if there is a brood frame in the super I don't extract it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MS - Mississippi or Missouri? Temperature? I don't use queen excluders, I call them honey excluders. I never fully rob my bees anyway, so if there is a brood frame in the super I don't extract it.
Mississippi, had lots of rain prior to my finding them and temps in 80’s during day low 60’s to high 50:s at night

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
were they trying to get thru the excluder or just fell off the combs and landed there

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Tom,
I always use a queen excluder since I use the shorter supers and I don't want brood in them. I've never had a problem with what you've described. Are you using a plastic or a metal excluder? I always try to keep my extruders free of propolis as the bees tend to block them up otherwise. Perhaps there weren't enough openings in your excluder for all of them to get too. It's strange too that the rest of the bess seem healthy. If it was a disease or pesticide you'd think the entire hive would be affected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Tom,
I always use a queen excluder since I use the shorter supers and I don't want brood in them. I've never had a problem with what you've described. Are you using a plastic or a metal excluder? I always try to keep my extruders free of propolis as the bees tend to block them up otherwise. Perhaps there weren't enough openings in your excluder for all of them to get too. It's strange too that the rest of the bess seem healthy. If it was a disease or pesticide you'd think the entire hive would be affected.
That’s what I thought but they are still doing fine. It is a plastic excluder and all I did was dump the dead bees. Excluder was not blocked.

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
heat kills around here. Heat plus crowding

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I’m at the end of my second year so I’m still trying to learn. I’m in SW MS
I haven’t been in this hive for a while due to medical conditions. Today I removed the supers to find lots and I do mean lots of dead bees on the queen excluder. It was completely covered at least a 1/2 “ deep. I don’t see how any got out or in the supers. Any ideas on what may have killed all these bees? There are lots of others and all seem healthy and normal.
We all of the bees drones? That has happened to me after I put an excluder under a cross comb brood box that I from a purchased hive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What might have happened: Your hive could have CBPV. This usually shows up after the bees have been confined for a period of days due to the weather. This usually results in a pile of dead bees along the ground about an inch high or do under the entrance. Since you had an excluder on maybe the dead bees could not be be carried out because of that.

Reactions: Gypsi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts