Lots of Dead Bees?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by waski2, Jul 22, 2010.

1. waski2

waski2 New Member

Hello All,

I started with a 3 frame nuc about July 5. I am feeding with pollen patties and 1:1 sugar water. For the sugar water I am using a frame feeder. When I checked the hive yesterday there were about 100 dead bees in the frame feeder? Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I made the sugar water in a regular kitchen pot (cold water and sugar equal parts) and transferred the mixture to a clean plastic milk jug, then to the frame feeder.

thanks for your time

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

if the bees are able to slip down into the syrup they will drown

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think you are doing something right. Most frame feeders I've seen had an inch or two of dead bees in them. Enough to support the others so they could get out.

4. waski2

waski2 New Member

the frame feeder has ridges on the side, and I'm told the bees can "walk" down these ridges and get a drink?
    should I put something (bits of styrofoam) in the syrup for the bees to rest on?

thx

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Whatever it is, you need something. They can't always get to the side to grab hold. A floating stick, like a paint stirrer may work. Anything they can grab without swimming to it.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

when I see dead bees in frame feeder and there is some small bit of syrup still not cleaned up I NOW suspect nosema. I think??? Randy Oliver made some mention that one of his associates had also noticed this 'CLUE' which he casually mentioned in one of his article (The Nosema Twins... perhaps).