Lots of dead bees?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

This one hive has always put out more dead bees than my other 2 hives. This is about 3 days worth that I scraped out from blocking the entrance. With the other hives I only find 3 or 4 bees daily. This has gone on with this hive since I got them. All I can say is they must have a heck of a bee turn-over rate to keep replacing all these dead bees. I used my stethescope (sp) and the hive is still humming. I worry about running out of bees this winter with this hive? Think they're producing brood yet?

Attached Files:

2. Omie

Omie New Member

I bet they're a real boomer hive in there!
    Southern NJ? yeah maybe your queen is starting up laying now, but I bet we have a few more weeks to go further up here near Albany though. Had some single digits here over the past few days...brrrr!

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

As Dr Freud might say ---- "Just lie on the couch, my dear, and start at the beginning. "

What kind of floor ? What kind of entrance ? What kind of mouse guard ? What strain of bees ? What disease prevention routine have you followed ? etc etc.

No need to panic --- you have two more strings to your bow.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I suspect at your location Omie can give you a better idea of the 'normal' death toll at this time of year than almost anyone else on this board. do remind yourself that bees dying at this time of year is more about the quantity of bees born 6 months ago than any thing else. as Omie also suggest a boomer hive will produce a larger number of dead than a dink (a dink being an old term for a low population poorly doing hive).

at the other end of the scale might be hive that produce no dead bodies at the front entrance. these are likely to be dead, dead, dead. since their are now no undertaker bees to drag out the dead bodies there are none at the front entrance.