Lucky day....free bees offered again. NOT

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Apr 8, 2012.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I got a call yesterday a fellar was offering free bees, yep, free bees. All I had to do was come and cut them out of a soffet at the peek of a 2 story house. Now for the kicker. He said I had until Monday morning to get them. He said he was feeling guilty about killing the bees. On monday he had an exterminator he had found that would spray them, however, when asked he wouldnt tell me the exterminators name.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or the price I suspect????

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is the part I do not understand, they will pay to have them killed and then a huge mess to clean up (and most likely did not really kill them completely out), plus someone still has to clean out the hive and put the soffit back together. I just don't get it!!

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

It blows my mind that they don't want to pay a bee keeper to do the job right, but they will pay to have them killed which in most cases is as much or more, and then still have the mess in the wall.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

They are afraid the beekeeper is getting something of value and being paid to take it with them. They just can't get over the fact that this is a service just like the pest control fella, he collects $ and leaves a mess behind and we collect $ and clean the mess up.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

They are probably planning to simply spray the bees themselves and save the money, but they don't want to admit publicly that they plan to kill honeybees, preferring to blame a non-existent exterminator.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

thats my take on this to

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

heres an update. They guy has called me 3 times since the deadline of the exterminator date still offering free bees. Im thinking he sprayed them himself and it didnt kill them. He has called another keep asking him to come and remove them. When the keep refered him to me he told them he refused to use me since I was going to charge him. Heres the best part. Yesterday afternoon I got a call from the Wellington Kansas Police Department asking if I would remove the bees. And wanting to know what was going on. Turns out he had called the police asking them to force me to remove them as a public nusaince. This is a first for me.

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Well riverrat, how much did you end up paying him for the bees? :rolling:

I've had on occasion the chance to talk with folks about bees in houses. Mind you, I'm a newbee and haven't done any cut-outs. What I tell them is that there is probably at least 7-8 pounds of bees in the wall...along with honey and pollen. I then tell them if the bees are killed it will be kinda like a small dog dieing in their wall and that then the clean-up critters will follow. I normally get a look of disgusted realization of the facts from them...not what they want to hear, but definitely gets their attention.

Ed

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Quit being so stubborn. Remove his bees, donate a hive and leave them with him. Check them weekly and harvest the honey, bottle it and give it to him.

Mow his yard, trim his hedges, and water his dog.

What's a good neighbor for, anyway. :thumbsup: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well sounds to me like he is the one creating the public nuisance since they are his bees!!

Iddee you going to let him get out of the weed eating also?!?!:lol:

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Hes not wanting to pay its actually a renter. I told the police to have the landlord call so we could discuss the situation and find a workable solution. Bees are 25 foot up at the peek or the roof with no flat ground below. I quoted 100 and hour and told them it would be 3 hr min. I took bees out of another area of the house a few years back and the landlord was happy with the job but there was a different renter at the time.