Luvin my BLACK GIRLS

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by cow pollinater, Sep 1, 2010.

1. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

I found some registered Angus cows for sale last weekend and have bought six so far and will go back for the rest(7) next week... They are top-notch spring calvers from great pedigrees. Out here spring calvers are bad unless you have registered cows as then you can sell bulls at eighteen months old which is ideal for turning out as breeding bulls into a fall commercial herd.
    At least five are halter-broke and gentle enough to get the kids really involved with.
    I also have a few cows that are on the Charolais "breeding up" program that allows me to turn grade cattle into Charolais breeding stock over time giving me two registered herds.
    So far the only catch is that the bees aren't quite as happy about BLACK cows rubbing on them but I'm positive in time we'll all work through our differances. :mrgreen:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like spring calvers myself, most are hooked on the fall calf thing. I got a good looking calf crop this year off of a cigar E46 on top and duke 914 on the bottom. Good stocky calves with nothing special going into them. Start to wean them next month, should be fun as usual.

Sounds like you got a good deal on them, already halter broke is a big plus. Now you get to haul them around to all of the fairs and shows.

3. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

Most of the black ones have Fame blood which is roughly the angus equivalant to Cigar... It is amazing what one bull can do for a breed...
    My white cows are all LT Rio Bravos. Big soggy calves with outstanding dispositions. It's just hard not to like them like that. I'm really taking my time finding the next sire to follow him. The hard part is going to be culling my good grade cows as I progress to purebred status but I can't keep them all. I'll be culling GOOD cows just because they aren't quite purebred enough. Kind of makes me sick. I buy and sell all the time but I hate letting the good ones go.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I know what you mean about letting the good ones go...............if only I had a little more pasture :lol: :lol: