Lyme Disease

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mama Beek, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Sorry for such long absences from the board. Baby Beek and I have both been sick for months now....finally found out it's lyme disease, and very advanced. We are doing everything we can to get back on our feet, but most days sitting up for very long at all is too tiring. We love this forum and all the friends we've made here. Hopefully we'll be well again soon and posting away!

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I was glad to see your postings today after your long silence. Sorry to learn that lyme disease is the reason. Do I remember correctly that it is transmitted by tick bites? How long is your recovery expected to take?

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

My niece is undergoing treatment for chronic lyme disease. I think there is a better handle on it in the US than in Canada. Here it is a medical hot potato and many doctors wont touch it. Very difficult to detect conclusively once it goes beyond initial symptoms.

Best wishes,

4. me2pl

me2pl New Member

that's awful! I hope you get better!
    efmesch: Lyme disease is spread by ticks

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Jane and I wish you and Baby all the best. Rest and get better..please! :beg:

Although, I'll bet those are your sentiments also. :)

Walt

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Wish you all the best, glad it was detected early.

Crofter; If not caught early enough, here they say "looks likes it's might be showing symptoms of Lyme Disease, we'll try some various antibotics."

Murrell

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! Yes, lyme is carried by ticks, but there is also a huge debate now about the possibility of other modes of transmission.

Crofter, we are running into the same problem. The medical community is in quite the uproar over who to treat with what and for how long. There just doesn't seem to be any good answers out there and the few docs who do continue to treat and make patients well enough to function again are having their licenses pulled. At the recommendation of a good friend we watched the movie "under our skin"...what a sad and shocking eye opener!

WaltB, yep those are exactly our sentiments.

Baby Beek graduated high school this past June and we haven't been well enough long enough to have her ceremony or celebration. I feel just awful for her.... she has gone from a vibrant, beautiful, VERY energetic young woman to being a tired and not at all active person. When that girl stays in the house and doesn't go out wandering through the woods and the fields and the gardens taking pictures or working it's a scary thing....it's almost like she's a ghost of herself! I've told the Lord I don't know how many times that I would call it an honor to keep this illness the rest of my life if that meant that she could be well and back to her old self again!

Thankfully my boys have really stepped up and pulled MORE than their fair share around the house so that Baby and I aren't feeling pressured to be up and doing more than we should. Truthfully, there are days that one or the other of them has had to help us walk from one room to the other. They both worked in the watermelon fields during the hottest part of the summer 10-14 hours a day and would still come home and tend to us girls, take care of the house and critters, and even read to us when our eyes hurt too bad to focus. I'm so proud of my boys!

We are treating this as best we can while we try to find a doctor who treats illness rather than follows guidelines that were written by some researcher who is just in the game for what they can get out of it. Prayer is still the best medicine I know of ......so we are doing LOTS of it!

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

If you have not researched the site www.aldf.com please do..... Best resource out there.

Sorry you guys are so ill, hopefully things start to improve soon.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

our thoughts and prayers will be for you and BabyBeek. do get yourself better. it is times like these when the value of family is everything.

10. Sundance

Sundance New Member

Sorry to hear this.......... it is nasty to be sure. I have
    friends and family that suffer from it. Heavy duty antibiotics
    are essential I hear.

I faithfully use Deet mosquito repellent now. Especially in the
    spring.

Good luck

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Thanks Zulu, I hadn't seen that site yet and found some good info there.

Tec, truer words were never spoken....times like this can sure test a family's strength. Thankfully ours has just drawn closer!

Sundance, we have been on 3 different antibiotics so far and have made only a little progress. We now keep multiple cans of spray stashed strategically so that none of us will forget to use it.

Lyme is nasty stuff to be sure! It's the easiest way I've ever seen to lose 25lbs.