Lyme Disease

Discussion in 'Bee Medicinals' started by Iddee, May 11, 2012.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

I live in the Lyme disease capital of the entire WORLD- right in my NY county. Almost all my friends have had it at least once. Because of that, I don't go walking in the woods or fields except in winter....it's just not worth it to me. I ride my bicycle through the countryside though! :smile:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

We had a big problem with Lyme disease in Lunenburg County. It was spread by the black legged deer tic. I have pulled them off me before and had them sent away to be tested but negative for Lyme. Where we live now they are non existant (for now).

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

This has been a bad year for tics so far. I've pulled two ofthe tiny buggers off of me and they were dug in real good. My wife has pulled a few off of herself as well.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've been taking Garlic capsules for years (supposed to be good for the heart) and ticks and chiggers don't like me,( i do get a few, but rarely) but my beekeeper buddies that like to go with me to check my hives in the woods get a load every time we go. They claim it's because i take Garlic capsules.:lol: Jack

5. Cape Fear Bees

Cape Fear Bees New Member

I get lyme so often I have the scrip on hand. Part of bees is ticks. Part of ticks is lyme.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i have been treated for lyme's 3 or 4 times. some research gives us an idea of the long term effects, but i don't think anyone really knows, and left untreated or not knowing one has it, you will most certainly face the medical phooey of trying to figure it out. just common sense, or be more aware to check yourself for those little buggers. doesn't keep me from the woods.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Talk about Lyme disease brings me to thinking about Mama Beek. We haven't heard from her in a long time. I hope she's well and if she or anyone could bring us up to date on her health/recovery from Lyme, I (and probably many more forum members) would be happy to hear good news.

8. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I have found a tick on me every time I go to the bee yard . I never think to spray down with bug repellent before I go out there. The farm is 160 acres 50 that is cleared and most of that 50 is in hay production the other 110 untouched woods. Dad does a great job with bush hogging the " roads " around the fields and we keep the bee yard vegetation as cleared as we can. I have heard from a lot of the old timers:eek:ldtimer: in our area that this is the worst tick year they have seen and it started early.

9. bamabww

bamabww New Member

We go hiking / backpacking whenever we can and the best tick / chigger repellant we've ever used is Permanone (or is it Permanome?). It's not for use on your skin but to spray on your clothing / boots. We'd usually spray the clothes we were wearing hiking down the night before in the garage or outside and let it dry over night. The spray is good through several washings also. In 6 years of using it, none of us have ever gotten a tick on us while wearing the clothing sprayed with Permanone.

Don't know how it would affect honey bees but ticks may crawl on your treated clothes but they won't stay long.

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow wayne, i just googlied that permanone! (hadn't heard of it)....
    sort of like 'wearing a pesticide':lol: application instructions are incredible! i might have to keep this in mind for my boots.

11. bamabww

bamabww New Member

It's good stuff. I heard about it from the guys who work for the National Forest Service. These guys are in the tick infested woods 8 to 10 hours a day in our Bankhead National Forest.

We have Lyme disease in our area but our primary tick borne disease is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Look for it on ebay. I found 6 cans for $11 a while back.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

Interesting, as always I look up the chemical it uses.

Just 1/2% of Permethrin ....... Same Chemical as Guardstar used for Small Hive Beatle ground drenches and used in just about all fly control insecticides for farms , horses cows etc

it probably has a binder in it too, but note how much lower the % is

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

an excellent discussion on lymes disease from NPR's Science Friday, i just listened to this, the audio will be available later today:

Tick Talk-Lyme Disease Under The Microscope

"Banking giant JPMorgan's multibillion-dollar trading loss is blamed on an executive's absence due to Lyme disease. And a mild winter has some scientists predicting a busy tick season ahead. A panel of experts discuss how the infection is contracted, why it's often misdiagnosed and the most effective treatment options."

15. bee stung

bee stung New Member

riverbee
    you had it 3 times ????? that would suck getting it 3 times ,, I just got tested for it and they said it came back neg ,, I think if I got it 3 times ,,, I would have someone check me for ticks every night ,, Hey that might even be fun

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup: :lol:

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:roll:.............:yahoo:
    lol you guys.......but i am a senior member approaching my senior years and my nickname is senior.......i ain't as good as i once was, my how the years fly by......
    btw we are tick pickers...:lol:

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I don't want to be a nit-picker but....maybe we should refer to you as "old man/woman river"? :eek:ldtimer: :???:

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The one time I sprayed for ticks around my ankles is the exact place I got stung. I don't know if there's a connection or if it was coincidence. I haven't sprayed since then, though. (plus now I wear boots and my bee suit covers my boots and ankles).